How to assign 1 student to several courses?

How to assign 1 student to several courses?

by Daniel Blossey -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

I would like to know how the manager can assign 1 student to several courses?

What I have found out:

"There might be a possibility to assign the students role to a category in which we could define relevant courses. This way we may assign 1 student to many courses (see http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Enrolment > “Category enrolments - users are enrolled in all courses in a category”)."

Is there another possibility?

Thanks!

Moodle version (production): Moodle r2.0.1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Blossey

Re: How to assign 1 student to several courses?

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Dear Daniel,

I think you should use Cohort feature of Moodle. Please go through this post

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=228211

In reply to S. kavita

by Daniel Blossey -

Dear S.,

thanks for your answer! I cannot use Cohorts (=groups) because the users change for each season where we offer courses.

Bye, Daniel

by Bob Puffer -

I'm kinds in favor of the meta-course enrollment route.

1. Create one course for enrollment (call this the child course)
  2. Create as many courses in which you wish the students enrolled (call these the parent courses)
  3. Make the child course a meta-enrollment of all the parent courses.  When a student is enrolled in the child course they are automatically enrolled in all the parent courses.  

If you're a bit shy about the REALLY STUPID meta-course enrollment interface see MDL-27628 where I've posted a patch to fix the interface.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Daniel Blossey -

Dear Bob,

this might be a good technical solution but is this also the common understanding of my business case?

Thanks!

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, in answer to that all I can say Daniel is that it is also the suggestion I was going to post a couple of days ago but saw that Bob had already done it smile

Bob is right that the interface is poor as it stands and that patch looks great (although my own work around has always been to create the links directly in the database smile ), but the solution of using Meta-links I think is probably the right one for you.

Richard

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniel,

Do it the way I do, by using a spreadsheet csv file. Works in all versions of Moodle. You can even use this method if the students are already registered, or not. Even after I do initial enrollments, I keep the file as it can be reused, even if you are only making minor changes to a couple of students...you tell Moodle to only do updates then.

This way will let you enroll users (students, managers, teachers) to multiple courses, assign their role, and enrollment duration. After the courses are over, with a few changes, you can even use it to delete users.

Since you are using Moodle 2.0.1 here is the doc link: http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Upload_users#Encoding_file_format

Hope this helps,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bob Puffer -

Good idea, Al but I don't think it scales very well.  We have 300 courses with meta enrollments per term.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bob,

I sympathize with you and agree that that many courses can be a problem. Even with as small of a Moodle as I have, I use multiple different csv files split into year groups. I also use cohorts so that when the csv enrolls them in a cohort, they are automatically enrolled in a lot of the courses via the cohort.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Daniel Blossey -

Dear AL,

thanks for sharing your idea! This works for me.

Bye Daniel