Strange error message

Strange error message

by Karin Ernst -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,
I am testing Moodle 1.5Alpha on my local XAMPP-system and refresh the code daily via CVS.  In one of my courses, a restore from 1.4.3, I get this error message:

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Compilation failed: regular expression too large at offset 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\lib\filterlib.php on line 168

Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Compilation failed: regular expression too large at offset 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\lib\filterlib.php on line 150

which is repeated many times. First (in the middle of last week?) it appeared at the right side without connection to a block, now (after several upgrades) it shows up in the last topic in the middle. When I turn editing on, it disappears, having deleted all the labels I have inserted into this topic block, when I turn editing off, everything is fine. When I change the theme the messages come back.  The only theme which is not affected  is "formal_white".

I just wanted to tell you in case it is a bug.

Greetings
Karin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karin Ernst

Re: Strange error message

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Do you have any large glossaries?  Or glossaries with very large entries?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Karin Ernst -
I have 1 glossary with 8 entries.
I looked into the glossary now and found 2 entries killed and replaced by the warnings. One of the replaced entry had originally 22 lines, the other one 14. There is another entry with 17 lines which is intact.
(Sorry for the late answer, I was out yesterday night.)
In reply to Karin Ernst

by Karin Ernst -
More testing: when I turn the filter for automatic glossary linking off, the messages disappear, but the 2 "replaced" entries show nothig at all.
When I log out and login again, the messages come back, when I refreh the page, they disappear.
In reply to Karin Ernst

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please make sure you have the very latest CVS code, and also REPAIR all your MySQL database tables.

If you still have problems, try to identify the exact glossary entry causing the problem (by deleting them one by one). If you can find an exact cause, please post a bug on the bug tracker with information about how to repeat the problem.

The reason it comes and goes is because of caching (Admin >> Filters >> Cache) so make sure you turn all caching OFF while testing.

Thank you for helping with the development process - we need LOTS of good testers.

by Karin Ernst -
Latest CVS from May 2nd,
database repaired
filter caching off
--> problem still there ...
I have reported bug #3092, added a zipped course and some screenshots.

Thanks for all the help!
Karin

by Tim Allen -
I just experienced exactly this problem in 1.5 Alpha. It occurs in the Moodle Features Demo course which I downloaded and installed on my own server. But it doesn't happen in this course at moodle.org...mixed

In that course, there are three glossaries, one of which (the "learner-defined glossary") has 43 entries.

When I refresh the page, the error messsages go away - but sometimes they come back later.

Maybe this is a bug?.. thoughtful

PS My system is Fedora Core 3, P4, PHP 5.04, Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1.11

Tim.