Assign random groupings

Assign random groupings

by Steve McGuire -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I looked through what I could find online. Please point me in the right direction if this is answered somewhere and I missed it.

I have a single course I am using with two composition classes of about 44 students each. The two classes are in two groups. I am using workshop in both classes and I have students assigned to groupings from F3team1 to F3team11 with 4 students per group. It seems that even if I choose grouping I still have to allocate the groupings manually or have random groups of four from with e class group (that is, not the groups I'm having the students work together in).

Am I completely wrong? I'd like the students to read the essays of the students they are working with in class.

I'm using 2.4.3.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve McGuire

Re: Assign random groupings

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve.

I'm not sure i understand your setup and requirements well. Can you please elaborate a bit please.

• Do I get it right that all 88 students are using the same workshop instance?
  • Those F3team1 to F3team11 are probably groups, not groupings, right?
  • If so, are these groups grouped into groupings?
  • What group mode do you use in the workshop?

And most importantly

• What result would you like to see? That is, how should submissions be allocated?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Steve McGuire -
David,

Thank you for your reply. Your questions makes it clear that I wasn't. I hope this is clearer.

I have one Moodle course used in two different classes, Friday 3 and Friday 4, with students self-enrolled into Friday 3 _or_ Friday 4. There are 44 students in each class.

Students in each class are subdivided into groups F3Team1 through F3Team11 (for Friday 3) and F4Team1 through F4Team11 (for Friday 4). They work together as cooperative groups within class and I would like them to talk in class about the assignments they rated using the workshop.

There are two Groupings, GroupingF3 (F3Team1 through F3Team11) and GroupingF4 (F4Team1 through F4Team11). Once I finished setting up the Workshop for GroupingF3, I duplicate it and change the Grouping to GroupingF4 on the second one.

Goal: Students within each team will read only the essays of their fellow team members. I would like to allocate the essays to the teams without having to go through each team and assign the essays group by group (22 teams x 4 students each is a lot).

When I use groupings with the assignment module and choose groupings, students are automatically assigned to their groups within the grouping. That doesn't seem to work that way with the workshop module...

...unless I'm mistaken. Am I?

Steve
In reply to Steve McGuire

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In that case, try to switch each of those two workshops into Separate groups mode and use the Random allocator to allocate submissions. Separate groups mode in Workshop is implemented so that the peer-assessment will happen within each group only. So for example, essay written by Alice who is a member of F3Team8 can be allocated only to other members of the F3Team8 group.