Quiz Issue

Quiz Issue

by Matt Georgetti -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, all. This email came to me from a teacher and I am not sure how to answer this. Any help is greatly appreciated. We are running version 1.9.7.

"

I am noticing a slight problem with certain types of quiz questions in Moodle.  I'm not sure what settings I need in order to make it NOT do this anymore, but here's the situation:

1. On questions that have more than one answer, if a student selects more answers than are correct along with all of the correct answers, Moodle scores that question as correct..... i.e. Let's say a question goes like this:

Of the following numbers, which are prime?

HINT: Check all answers that are correct.

a. 7

b. 9

c. 1

d. 3

e. 6

f. 8

Let's say a student selected A, C, D, E & F as his/her answers.   All of the CORRECT answers have been selected AS WELL AS some EXTRAS that are NOT correct.

Moodle is grading questions like this without regard to incorrect selections.  That is, this particular example student would have gotten full marks for his/her answer.

In reality, there should be 2 points off.

Is there a way to get Moodle NOT to do this?  Is there a way to get it to TAKE OFF points for the extra answers?"

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Georgetti

Re: Quiz Issue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

"Is there a way to get it to TAKE OFF points for the extra answers?" - yes. That is what you are expected to do.

When you are editing a question, it should be clear how to set this up.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Georgetti -

Thank you for the response. By the way she has been describing this to me, this seems to be an anomaly as she "has never had this problem before." Could you possibly elaborate "When you are editing a question, it should be clear how to set this up." Thank you.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It has always worked that way.

Go into Moodle and click the edit icon next to a question.

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Matt

You can select negative grade for the incorrect answer and positive for the correct answer in the multiple choice question.