With 2.5 now release I thought it time to take the opportunity to build a new theme that would push the new theme engine to it's limits a bit. With that in mind I am happy to introduce the new "Essential" theme.
The idea of this theme, as usual with my themes, is to make the site look as little like Moodle as possible. In this specific instance, it would be used on sites where Moodle would potentially serve as a company homepage rather than just a course list.
Cool things to know about the theme.
- It only uses 6 images.
- Most of what you think are "graphics" are actually the Awesome font
- The slider on the frontpage of the demo site is completely customisable through theme settings
- I am really trying to push what Bootstrap Grids can do. As such the theme is fully responsive.
- The footer is all custom Moodle regions. This means blocks can be added. The footer of the demo site is full of HTML blocks in this instance
- The Theme uses Google webfonts to give it that extra bit of shazam!
- Social Network icons appear at the top of the page dynamically based on theme settings
- The entire color scheme can be modified with theme settings (like on Rocket)
- The homepage main area is just a label. The theme will ship with custom classes that you can set for tables and links to modify their formatting. No knowledge of code is needed as you can use the text editor to do this. Documentation will be provided outlining what the additional classes are.
See the theme in Action
If you would like to see it in action, head to this year's iMoot site at http://2013.imoot.org
Download the Code
If you would like to download and play with the theme you can grab it from Github: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential
A MAJOR reminder - This theme is not finished yet. It is in a very raw, cluttered, messy and un-professional state. I am releasing on Githib for those who want to help in it's development. NOT FOR PRODUCTION
Ideas, suggestions and best of all, code improvements are more than welcomed. As I get the time to tidy this up I wil release it in Beta and then finally live in the plugins DB.
One area I am particularly struggling with is using the new admin_setting_configstoredfile in theme settings. I would like users to be able to just add slider images using it instead of the old path method. If you can help I would love to hear from you.