What the purpose of the wrong answer response?

What the purpose of the wrong answer response?

by Greg Waddell -
Number of replies: 9

OK. so I'm creating this lesson that has content followed by questions followed by content and so on. 

I notice that in the questions (for example multiple choice), I have a place to add a response for the correct answer and places to add a response for the incorrect answers.

However, when I give the quiz a test drive, I never the Reponse for the correct answer always appears, but response for the incorrect answer never appears, even when I answer the question wrong.

Here are some screenshots to show what I mean:

Screenshot 1

This is what happens when I answer the question incorrectly...

Screenshot 2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Waddell

Re: What is the purpose of the wrong answer response?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Greg,

0.- Which version of Moodle are you using?

1.- "However, when I give the quiz a test drive, I never the Reponse for the correct answer always appears, but response for the incorrect answer never appears, even when I answer the question wrong."

This is not clear, could you rephrase it please?

2.- Your talk about mutliple choice questions, but clearly your screenshot refers to a Matching question type. Ever more confusingly, you seem to be using a Matching question to ask a TRUE/FALSE question.thoughtful

3.- I expect your problem comes from your Lesson settings, more specifically the Flow control : Allow student review setting, which you seem to have set to Yes. Set it to No and you will see the difference.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

PS.-

For Greg and anyone else requiring help about the Moodle Lesson activity. Please bear in mind that the Lesson activity is a very useful tool in Moodle, but also that it is an extremely complicated piece of software, with (too?) many settings, which interact one with the other. When asking for help, please be as precise and exact as possible, do post screenshots, and as far as possible post your Lesson settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Greg Waddell -

You were right. I had to set "Allow student review" to No and also "Provide option to try a question again" to No. Evidently, these two options override the personalized response when set to Yes. 

Thanks

by imbu danilot -

Moodle 2.2.5+ (Build: 20120920)

Hello,

While I appreciate the answers provided in this post I am not entirely sure they clear up any doubt on the flow control settings in moodle lesson.

Specifically in my tests I noticed that if Provide option to try a question again is set to NO, then the following options do make any sense to be set up.

• Allow Student to review,
  • Maximum number of Attempts
  • Display default feedback,

in other words if Provide option to try a question again is set to NO all the others settings appear to be not influential

can anybody confirm?

see below pic for further clarification:

Attachment Issue1.png
In reply to Greg Waddell

Re: What the purpose of the wrong answer response?

by KirK Chapman -

I can assure you that the wrong answer has a purpose. The lesson module is a very powerful tool and extremely versatile. However, it is a bit complex and the internal logic is very exacting. Without knowing how you set up various components of the lesson (flow control, jumps) and what version of Moodle you're using I can suggest:

1. Sketch (jumps) and with paper and pencil
  2. Preview lessons student mode.
  3. Create small portions of content with linked questions and test those links (jumps) before developing others. Test, test, test.
  4. Make sure that the logic of your settings in flow control is what you intend for the lesson quizzes to do.
  5. Use the collapsed view to get an idea of how your navigation (jumps) flows.
  6. Be careful with clusters; they're wonderful but are another animal entirelywide eyes

I'm not suggesting that you've not taken these steps. I am explaining that when I've had lesson issues-as you've displayed- reviewing the above fixed the issue- in 2.x that is.

In reply to Greg Waddell

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have just stumbled upon this thread as I was trying to get my head around some of the Lesson logic. I also had a problem with feedback for an incorrect answer not showing up.

I managed to get the feedback to appear if:

1. I set "Allow student review" to no

and

2. I set "Provide option to try again" to no

What I am puzzled about now is, I want to allow the student an option to try again but issue my own feedback about the incorrect answer but this doesn't seem to be possible.

In other words, I need to have 2 options set to "no" to get my customized feedback for a negative response to appear but doing so also means I lose the ability to let students try again. Is this intentional by design?

Regards

Jason

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Jason "In other words, I need to have 2 options set to "no" to get my customized feedback for a negative response to appear but doing so also means I lose the ability to let students try again."

Solution: you must set the following settings:

Appearance:Use default feedback No

Provide option to try a question again No

Flow control: Maximum number of attempts: greater than 1

Joseph

by Jason Hollowell -

Joseph,

Thanks. Actually it wasn't quite that simple. It never is, is it! smile

In addition to the settings you helped me with, I also needed to be jumping to the same page in the event of a wrong answer. I was jumping back to a content page. Thus, the student who got the answer wrong would get the negative feedback if they got it wrong and then be sent back to a content page when they clicked on continue (with try a question again set to NO). Or, they wouldn't get the negative feedback and get to try the question again (with try a question again set to YES).

What I have accomplished now (with the jump to same page setting) will work but, in my case, I was wanting to provide negative feedback and then send the student back to the material that they were being questioned on so they could review and hopefully find the answer.

As I have it now, the student is told that the answer is wrong and then given another chance to answer correctly (eliminating one option from those I have presented (4 in my case) which slowly increases their chance of getting it correct).

I'm not sure if sending the student back to review the material before being given another chance at answering the question would be effective from a learning perspective but, at any rate, that is what I was shooting for.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Joseph Rézeau -

The Moodle Lesson activity offers a huge amount of settings and possibilities, that's its strength (and weakness).

What you want is possible, i.e. combining a number of tries greater than 1 AND a "return" to a review materials page. But this "condemns" the student to find the correct answer, otherwise they will NEVER be able to finish the lesson.

Here is a simple example.

Lesson Settings:

Appearance:Use default feedback No
Provide option to try a question again No
Flow control: Maximum number of attempts: 2

screenshot #1

Scenario #1

Student answers:

1. Content page 1
  2. question 1 : Wrong answer
  3. Content page 1
  4. question 1 : Wrong answer
  5. Content page 1
  6. question 1 : Wrong answer
  7. etc.

Student MUST give the correct answer to continue the lesson. If student finds the correct attempt after more than 2 tries, he gets zero points for this question.

Scenario #2

Student answers:

1. Content page 1
  2. question 1 : Wrong answer
  3. Content page 1
  4. question 1 : Correct answer
  5. Next page...

Score for this question: 1 point.

by Jason Hollowell -

Joseph,

Thanks for the clarification. In the meantime I backed up and restored my course containing my lesson from an instance of 2.3 to an instance of 2.4. I don't know if that is the reason or if I simply had something set incorrectly but I can confirm that this works on my 2.4 instance of Moodle. I thought that on my other site (2.3) I wasn't getting my negative feedback for the correct answer but it could have been that I just overlooked it. Sorry for the bother.

After experimenting with both a little, I think I prefer the jump to this page again rather than back to a content page. I think sending them back to the content page will demotivate students, in my case, and influence them to give up and stop using the system.

Regards

Jason