Private files and instructor changes

Private files and instructor changes

by Kate Hance -
Number of replies: 3

Could someone tell me whether a file uploaded to Private Files and used in a course is still accessible and editable if the instructor is changed? An example:

Professor Alfie is teaching Accounting 101. He uploads an article describing a law that applies to accountants to his private files, then links to it in several places in the course.

After a year, Professor Alfie retires and Professor Bohr takes over the class. Professor Alfie is removed from the class altogether, as he spends all his time fishing in Montana.

The accounting law changes. Professor Bohr is now responsible for updating the article that Professor Alfie originally put into the class.

My questions are:

1) Does Professor Bohr have access to the original file?

2) Is the file still "in" the class even after Professor Alfie is removed from the class? 

Thank you so much; I've been searching for a while to try to figure out if linked private files are still available in a class even when the account associated with the private file area is removed from the class.

Sincerely, Kate

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate Hance

Re: Private files and instructor changes

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Kate,

from a general point of view as long as a file is used in a context, such as a course, the file should remains available in that context.

That holds true when a teacher copies a file in a course from his My private files area and also when a teacher creates an alias/shortcut: in the latter case if a teacher deletes his files from My private files area that are used as alias/shortcut in some courses, Moodle will convert existing alias/shortcuts into file copies, so your course file links won't break, and "professor Bohr" can still access and download the files from within the courses where the files are used.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

Re: Private files and instructor changes

by Kate Hance -

Andrea, thank you so much for the info, that was really helpful! -Kate