Instant feedback for essay questions (can it go on a wishlist?)

Instant feedback for essay questions (can it go on a wishlist?)

by Sonya Powney -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

I would find it really useful if there was a type of essay/long answer question where students could submit the answer to a single question and immediately see feedback (as for other question types).

For example, I often create scenario-based quizzes, where students work through a clinical (veterinary) case. After outlining how they would approach each stage of the case, they need feedback before they can progress to the next stage. For example they might be asked which diagnostic tests they would perform and why, and the feedback would explain which tests were appropriate for that case and give the test results, so they can move on to diagnosis. At present I show the feedback using 'description' questions, but this is a bit clunky, and gives them clues (or often the answer) to previous questions, which they can go back and change. 

Our quizzes are almost all for self-assessment - the essay questions are not scored and are not manually graded (although keen academic staff do review student answers and provide feedback to the whole student group).

NB we're using Moodle 2.2, planning to upgrade to 2.4 in the summer.

Many thanks,

Sonya

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Sonya Powney
Learning Resources Developer (Monday – Thursday)
Electronic Media Unit
The Royal Veterinary College

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sonya Powney

Re: Instant feedback for essay questions (can it go on a wishlist?)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can see why this would be valuable. However, it is not possible at the moment.

To implement this would require one or two new plugins (a question type and/or a behaviour). I can explain more if anyone wants to have a go.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Gibson -

Hi Tim I've been asked to estimate how much effort this would take and maybe carry out the work. Could you explain roughly what's required please?

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think this would be very much work, if you understand question behaviours. (Possibly big if that.)

"the feedback would explain which tests were appropriate for that case and give the test results" - I am pretty sure this information belongs in the General feedback section of the question, so no work to do that. We just need to control when that is displayed.

And, a question beahviour is the right place to control that. Start by looking at the 'adjust_display_options' method of qbehaviour_manualgraded (and hence of the question_behaviour base classe).

In fact, that probably already does what you want. It looks like what you really want here is a 'Check' button on Essay questions, so that students can submit their response, and get the feedback, and then no be able to edit their response further. So, look at how qbehaviour_immediatefeedback works.

At any rate, it should be possible to work out exactly what you want, and make a behaviour that does that, and probably all you need to do is merge the right bits of qbehaviour_immediatefeedback and qbehaviour_manualgraded.

Then there is the question of how do you get Moodle to use that behaviour with your questions. Well, The basic code flow looks like this:

1. Quiz has a setting ->preferredbahaviour, which is what the teacher set in the quiz settings.
  2. When each question is started, we need to know what real behaviour to use for that question attempt.
  3. So the questoin engine calls $question->make_behaviour($qa, $preferredbehaviour);
  4. That method returns an instance of the right behaviour. For may question that will be $preferredbehaviour, but there are exceptions. For example for essay questoins, we always return qbehaviour_manualgraded, no matter what the teacher chose.

Probably what you need to do is create a new question type, which is almost exactly like essay (subclass everything, and override the minimum amount necessary) but which overrides make_behaviour. You could call this question type somthing like "Collect response then give feedback". (Not a great name, try to think of something better.)

Alternatively, just hack qtype_essay_question::make_behaviour to create an instance of your new behaviour when the preferred behaviour is immediatefeedback. I would certainly start by doing that while testing your behaviour.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Fiona Watts -

HI Tim,

Did this ever get resolved to be part of Moodle core? We are using Moodle 2.9 and want the functionality discussed in this forum ie. the 'check' button under each essay question so general feedback is shown immediately to the student. I noticed this was in 2013 so was hoping that something might have changed since then.

Regards

Fe

In reply to Fiona Watts

by Tim Hunt -

I don't think anyone else has done anything about this since my post.

In reply to Fiona Watts

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This has not been implemented. You could join the Moodle Users Association and propose it as a project.  There are no guarantees it would be implemented, but It seems quite a nice feature that many people could take advantage of.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Fiona Watts -

Thanks Tim and Marcus,

I agree a great feature. I'll just keep it on my 'wishlist' for the time being.

Fe

In reply to Sonya Powney

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

Sonya,

You wrote: At present I show the feedback using 'description' questions, but this is a bit clunky, and gives them clues (or often the answer) to previous questions, which they can go back and change. 

To prevent students from being able to go back and change their answers after viewing the "feedback in description", you can split the quiz into pages and enforce "sequential navigation method" (this feature is not available in moodle 2.2, but it is in moodle 2.4)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sonya Powney

by Leonard Houx -

To second this suggestion, I currently use the feedback activity for essay questions with feedback – which is not ideal as cannot give feedback for each text submission and the language/interface is geared around surveys.