Larger answer short answer box or autograde essay

Larger answer short answer box or autograde essay

by Beth Schultheis -
Number of replies: 9

Moodle 2.4.1

I posted yesterday that I needed autograded essay questions.  This is for a reflection questions for teacher professional development courses that will run continually.  I was told you could do it with a cloze question.  I have been able to get the essay question to autograde, but can not get the input box larger.  I could use a short answer, or cloze question, but would need a large box for the teachers to type in.

I have tried the coding with both <br /> and <p> to try to increase the box size.Moodle Screenshots

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachment MoodleQuestion.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beth Schultheis

Re: Larger answer short answer box or autograde essay

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Nice attempt to abuse the Cloze qtype, but as you found it is not really going to work.

Note that you could (fail in exactly the same way to) do the same thing more simply using the shortanswer question type.

I can't think of a way around this. You would have to do some development. It would be more appropriate to discuss that in the quiz forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=197926#p865110

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christian Herman -

Tim, some poking around tells me it may be possible with Javascript but I can't make heads or tails of examples I've found enough to adapt it.  I know <style> tags get stripped out by tinyMCE.  Can <script> be made to work?

The trick is that the question renders the text boxes as type="text".  Change it to type="textarea" and use inline CSS to resize the text area.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Beth Schultheis -

Christian, thank you so much for trying with Javascript.  Begin so new to Moodle, Java, and Moodle, I think I may be in over my head on this one.  I will keep trying, but have soooo much to learn.

Beth

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Beth Schultheis -

Thank you Tim for the note to post in the quiz forum.  I was given the job of developing Moodle courses (was a Math Coach) about a month ago - with no training or support. I had read when your not sure of the forum, post in general.  I need to get about 100 courses online for teachers within a couple of months.  Any help/hints are appreciated.

Beth

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would say, do you acutally need a grade here? The importnat thing is for the students to write the reflection, not that they get a grade for it. So, just set the maximum mark for each essay to 0, then they will not be included in the scoring at all.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Beth Schultheis -

I was hoping to be able to assign a grade, but I believe I may need to do as you suggested.  Thank you for your help.

Beth Schultheis

by Jeff Forssell -

Auto-grading an essay is a really mamooth enterprise. Just auto-grading a single sentance can be daunting because of all the variants that are possible.

I myself have never used the Quiz questions for hard-grading but mainly for giving guiding feedback for homework, in adaptive mode. There is a question type: Regular Expression, which has a lot of powers that would be valuable to "attacking" essays. (Though the developer, JR, pretty much groaned when I suggested having a version with text area.)

The valuable things, besides regular expression pattern matching, that he has implemented include transposable ordering of elements and find-if-something-is-missing.  (So you could give feedback like "Your answer ought to include something about IMF or the World Bank to get full credit."

Even if you create something that can auto-grade an essay, I'm sure it will be necessary: "This grade is preliminary and based on some common answers. But there are so many ways to express this that essays will be reviewed by a human before a final grade is set." 

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Tim Hunt -

Jeff, you have misunderstood the question.

The original poster just wants to award the students the marks if they type something into the box.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Josef Martha -

What's really the problem here is the lack of a formative assessment solution in Moodle. In this day and age, where formative assessment is so important, it's hard to believe this is not accommodated easily in Moodle.

If one were to allow LONGER responses with the short answer tool as part of a formative assessment, then the teacher could use the asterisk wild card to mark all answers correct. The point is for the student to compare their response to the feedback the teacher has entered, they can then be encouraged to initiate contact with the teacher if they still don't understand.

Another way this could be handled is for Moodle to add an asterisk wild card autocorrect (or equivalent checkbox or whatever to automatically grade all responses as correct) to the essay response questions. Again, allowing the student to answer without limitation, be automatically graded as correct (the grade does not matter, it counts for ZERO, this is FORMATIVE assessment), and then compare their response to a suggested answer entered in the feedback by the teacher.

Very frustrating trying to doing formative assessment with Moodle's current tools.