Private assignment submission section on Moodle for just a few students to submit extra work. (use Turnitin)

Private assignment submission section on Moodle for just a few students to submit extra work. (use Turnitin)

by Jodi Apperley -
Number of replies: 6

I need to put a private turnitin assignment submission section onto moodle for just a handful of students who are in different circumstances than the students on our usual courses and wondered what the best way would be to start thinking about this. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jodi Apperley

Re: Private assignment submission section on Moodle for just a few students to submit extra work. (use Turnitin)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again Jodi. The easiest way would be to make  a new course and enrol just these students  -password protect the  course so no others can get in, and then make the assignment in that course. There are other ways to do this but I know you are just getting into Moodle so this might be the simplest.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Private assignment submission section on Moodle for just a few students to submit extra work. (use Turnitin)

by Jodi Apperley -

Thanks again Mary you are really helpful. I've managed to find out how to make a new course and enrol students but it doesnt appear in our navigation bar and I'm not sure how to 'link' the two if that makes sense. How can I get the students (and me) to see that new course appearing somewhere in our main horizontal navigation pane? 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jodi

First of all, students once enrolled should see the  courses they are enrolled from the "My Moodle link  (which you have I see under one of your menus) or from a link in the Navigation block - but I don' know if you have the navigation block enabled as I obviously can't log in.

But I think  you mean those dropdowns at the top? You would need to add it manually if you wanted it to appear in there get its URL and then go to Settings>Site administration>Appearance>Themes>Theme settings and add it to the custom menu as I said in a previous post. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jodi Apperley -

Hi Mary. I did look at your previous post but when adding in the URL to the 'theme settings' it seemed to add the name of the URL  but when you click on it, it doesn't take you to that page or course so I thought I was missing out a bit somewhere? I was told you then have to point that to somewhere on your actual installation. Our installation is hosted on justhost which I don't actually have access to so I gave up on that. Am I wrong?

IN Summary: If I put the URL for that new course I've created straight into 'theme settings' is that all I need to do?  Should I then be able to click on that in that dropdown menu and it takes me to the actual page or is there something else I need to do?

I'm sorry to appear so stupid. I have worked a lot of issues out and looked a lot of things up but I am having trouble with this particular one.

I'll look up navigation block to see what that is. Thank you

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Jodi. Like Ken, I think I have worked out which is your Moodle, and you have a list of links at the top with submenus when you click on the list. Unfortunately I think these have been coded into the theme so it is not as obvious how to add to them than with a standard Moodle theme (I might be wrong) However, it doesn't matter because if you look at the link that says "My** (insert your college name) " then when you click on it there is a link "My Moodle". If you have enrolled students correctly then this new course should automatically appear for them there. My Moodle as it is called on your site is like a personalised dashboard for users and that is where you can direct them to get quick access to their courses.

(Otherwise you would be forever adding new courses manually to your drop down menus) 

I do suggest you read the documentation starting with http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Moodle_site_-_basic_structure 

Hope that helps.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jodi Apperley -

Thank you Mary I will read that. I appreciate the help you have given me on this issue when I have been really stuck.