news forum with separate groups

news forum with separate groups

by Maria Murjani -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

i just want to ask if someone have an answer to our concern below:

We normally post important details/announcements about our courses using the News Forum but some students dont see it. When I try to login as a student, some do not not see our posts but as "Admin" I could see the posting. We have several groups per course and when you go to each course to confirm if they are seeing the post, most of them do not see the posting in the news forum but when revert back as "Admin", it's there. An example is when we post in the News Forum about the final exam details (date, time and etc.) this morning, most students did not get it when i try to login as a student.

Could someone shed some light to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Murjani

Re: news forum with separate groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you have separate groups you need to post your message to each group separately.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maria Murjani -

Thanks Mary. Appreciate your responsesmile

In reply to Maria Murjani

by Wen Hao Chuang -

OK I have a related question here.

If I use "separate groups" and I want to have a News forum for each separate groups, can I do that in Moodle 1.9.x? I remember that in 1.9.x, at some point (earlier version of 1.9.x maybe) you used to be able to use "Stanford Forum for general use" type of forum to simulate a News forum (e.g. limiting only teachers can initiate new discussion topics, etc.), but it seems that in the latest Moodle 1.9.x that feature is gone. Is there any work-around that I can set up News Forum for announcement purposes (meaning students can NOT initiate new discussion topics), but using separate groups (different groups can NOT see other groups announcements...)? Thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)