Enrolling users in cohorts into groups

Enrolling users in cohorts into groups

by Simon M. -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I'm new to Moodle so this might seem like a simple question but I can't find the answer.  Moodle seems to work 'upside-down' compared to what I need.

I want a system set up whereby a user is enrolled (can't be self-enrolled) into a cohort and they are automatically enrolled into x number of core courses in Moodle.  From there, they are divided into groups depending on their location (so the teacher in Cardiff can contact just the Cardiff students etc.).  I've attached a diagram if that helps.

The problem I'm coming up against is that it seems this all has to be done manually.  Courses nees to be manually linked to a cohort and groups need to be manually added to a course if you want location-control.

Is there any batch function available so that by uploading a single CSV file, Moodle knows that Cohort X is linked to courses A, B and C and that each course contains Group Alpha and Group Beta?

The pyramid diagram might be slightly misleading as the core subjects might be shared with another cohorts so they aren't exclusively for use by that cohort.

There is the potential to require 100s of courses which is why I'm hoping to avoid the manual linking!  Any ideas or help would be appreciated.  My brain is starting to hurt now.

Attachment Moodle Flow.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Simon M.

Re: Enrolling users in cohorts into groups

by Derek Lawrie -

I'd be very interested in this if you could get it working, unfortunately it's beyond me,  but it would be very useful as we manually split the students into groups once they are enrolled through a combination of cohorts and database enrolment.

In reply to Derek Lawrie

by Cam Kinoshita -

Did you ever figure out a system for this to work?

In reply to Simon M.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So I have a very similar scenario and this is what I do to make it work.  I use a CSV file upload that enrolls the students into the course/courses and group/groups all at once.  

In your CSV file, for each student, have the following columns - course1, group1, course2, group2, course3, group3.  If you want them in 2 different groups in one course then use the following columns "course1, group1" twice but just use the different group name the second time around.

You need the course short names for each course and the name of the group in each course.

Cohorts are not really needed at all in this scenario.  The csv file takes care of what you need.  If there is some other reason that you want the students in a cohort, you can add that to the csv upload file as well.  Use the cohort id number in that column but the csv file is really a one stop process so why use cohort enrollment anyway?

If your students are already in the Moodle site system, make sure to select Add New Users and Update Existing Users in your settings.