Categories are too easy to move

Categories are too easy to move

by Lionel Redelinghuys -
Number of replies: 1

Hi guys

Not sure about the location of this post but I'd like to inform the developers of an issue I came across. 

We have just finished implementing Moodle at 7 academies for a large government organisation.

When I trained the administrators one of the things I showed them how to do was to add, remove and move categories. We soon found out that the current way of moving categories is potentially risky since there is no confirmation step. In the training session the people whom I trained followed along by doing as I did and when I demonstrated how categories are moved into other categories we ended up moving things into places that were no longer where they were initially. This was a very complicated scenario that eventually meant that I had to restore the original database since the system could no longer create new categories or courses.

Unfortunately I no longer have the full detail of the errors etc but I do think that the process for moving a category requires some attention.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lionel Redelinghuys

Re: Categories are too easy to move

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for your feedback on moving categories. What version of Moodle are you using? If you have chance, it would be great if you could check out how moving categories is in Moodle 2.5 (maybe using the QA testing site) as I understand various categories pages improvements have been made, such as MDL-37572.