Reattempt quiz on certain grade boundaries?

Reattempt quiz on certain grade boundaries?

by Robert Rosebury -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to only allow re-attempts for quizzes if a certain grade boundary is hit?

For example, if a use get 50% or less I would like the user to have to automatically have the option to re-take the test. If it is higher than 50% then this option would not be shown as they have reached the pass mark.

I know I can setup the test to a certain number of attempts and state on the grade boundary feedback they have passed and there is no need to re-take, but this is not ideal.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to do what I want, without me having to edit the php?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Rosebury

Re: Reattempt quiz on certain grade boundaries?

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Robert

In quiz there is no such option for creating grade boundaries.  But it is possible by completion tracking feture in Moodle.

For example you craete a quiz. Make a condition for a quiz that it should receive a grade to complete it then create another activites for example you have created a page and make condition for that page to access that the quiz must receive 60% grade to access it. When you set this condition for page, the student wouldn't able to ove forward until he receive 60% grade in quiz.

Refer here for conditional activities  http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Conditional_activities .

for activity completion http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Activity_completion

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Robert Rosebury -

Hi Sakshi,

Thank you for your message, I'm not sure if that solution would actually be relevant to our needs.

So there is no way to have the quiz only available for re-takes, if they have failed?

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Robert

As such there is no setting in the quiz setting page to do so.

by Floyd Saner -

Robert,

I would look try one of these two options:

1. Use the Moodle Lesson activity.  This allows you to create branching based on test scores.
  2. If you don't want to use the Lesson,
    1. Enable completion tracking and conditional release in Moodle
    2. Enable completion tracking for Quiz 1.
    3. Create a second quiz with the same questions as the first quiz.
    4. Make the second quiz available (visible) on two conditions a) Quiz 1 is marked complete, and b) the score of Quiz 1 is less than 50%.
    5. In the grade book, place both quizzes in a category of their own, and set the aggregation method to 'Highest score'

You may need to modify my suggestions a bit - this is just 'off the top of my head' without actually trying to do it.  There may also be some other options I have not considered.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Floyd "I would look try one of these two options: Use the Moodle Lesson activity.  This allows you to create branching based on question scores."

Joseph