Re: Open Badges and Moodle - achievement criteria

by Laura Mikowychok -
Number of replies: 3

I've enjoyed this discussion and am excited to follow and contribute to development.

For the purposes of brainstorming, I wanted to share the techniques we've used to badge Moodle. This may need to be split to a different discussion, since it isn't a suggestion for the Totara module; I just thought it would be falling on the right ears in this thread. smile

At the Chester County IU in Pennsylvania, USA, I've used Moodle's conditional activity settings to help users unlock graphical badges during a course. Your solution will be much more portable and extendable; this just gives our participants a Moodle experience of earning badges, which can be implemented by any Moodle teacher interested in the concepts of serious games for learning.

Attached is a screenshot (sorry for the small size - limited to 50KB! Will create a full-size gallery if there's interest). What we've done:

• Moodle sections are "levels" in our course, and using conditional sections, users "level up" (reveal the next section) when they earn required badges;
  • Labels are created with the badge name, icon, required or not, approximate time to earn, bonus points if any, and some other "flavor" indicators (such as whether the badge is peer-nominated or instructor-approved).
  • Hovering on a badge icon reveals details about what you'll accomplish in earning the badge.
  • Conditional activities are configured, so that the badge is "unlocked", or becomes visible, only when conditions are met in other related quests, or activities.
  • Lang files are edited so that the "Restricted" message on a conditional activity instead references "unlocking" the badge when activities are completed.
  • Gradebook terminology has been changed to Points - a minor and perhaps superficial change, but the gradebook becomes a bank instead of a measure of performance. Only extra, bonus items are worth points. Everything else is worth badges, so your badges-earned list is what you seek to build up.
  • The Checklist module and block are also used in this course, to provide a visual indicator of progress through badges and activities. We are considering overriding the perms in this module to allow all participants to see everyone's progress and badges, which is more supportive of a game mentality.

I hope this is helpful and/or inspiring in some ways! Again, I look forward to closely following the new wiki and contributing in any way I can.

Laura Mikowychok

Chester County IU 24, Pennsylvania, USA

Attachment Screen shot 2012-08-28 at 2.08.11 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Mikowychok

by Simon Coggins -

Thanks Laura,

Very useful to see how people are achieving this now.

One area that we really could use feedback on is exactly what sorts of criteria people want to use to issue badges. Some ideas I've come up with:

• Completing an activity or set of several activities
  • Completing a course
  • Completing a set of courses
  • Viewing an activity
  • Posting to a forum
  • Filling in user profile or tagging items (to encourage participation)
  • Discretionary awarding of badges by teacher (e.g to reward certain behaviour)

This will determine if activity/course completion is sufficient or if we need to implement additional ways of issuing badges.

Simon

In reply to Simon Coggins

by Yuliya Bozhko -

Just a thought in addition to you ideas, Simon.

A higher level badge (meta-badge) could be issued based on achievement of multiple badges.

Other than that your list mentions everything I can think of.

Yuliya

In reply to Laura Mikowychok

Re: Open Badges and Moodle

by Martin Olmos -

Thanks for sharing Laura, this is very clever 'hacking' of what's there! wink

I may be missing it, but I don't see how this would make my badges 'visible' to others in the course. I can't think of a way to do this in the user's profile page, either.

So, as far as I can see, this is a helpful feedback for the student on their own progress. Have I got it right?

Martin