Just Created Our First Moodle Course - A few hiccups

Just Created Our First Moodle Course - A few hiccups

by Brian Manning -
Number of replies: 5

1- Is it possible to embed a movie file so it plays embedded in moodle? It usually opens up in a pop-up AND brings you to a new blank page. So once the student closes the pop-up window they are still left on a blank moodle page and its not immediately obvious that you have to click the back button on the browser. This will confuse non-tech minded users.

2- Is there a good movie file format to use? Some vids wont play on iPads but will on others etc.

3- Is it possible to embed a Youtube movie using the Youtube embed code.....so its not playing in a pop up window and displaying the related Youtube videos on the side. Purely embedded onto the Moodle page?

4- We had completion requirements activated. After a student finishes an activity Moodle should tick the box to allow the student to progress but it didnt do this.....until they refreshed the page. But non-tech minded students will come unstuck at this point.

5- We use a lot of powerpoints with audio. They were huge files until I figured out you can compress the audio within Powerpoint before saving as a powerpoint show. Now, the PP-show plays once you click it only in Firefox. Every other browser I tried merely saves the show to your downloads folder. Non tech minded students will not be able to find it or realise this is what has happened.

6- Any links to good video tutorials etc on standard Moodle practices to make video/powerpoint content run smoothly for the end user who may not be tech-savvy?

Many thanks,

Brian.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Manning

Re: Just Created Our First Moodle Course - A few hiccups

by Jon Fila -

1. Yes create a Page or an Assignment (or anything) and click on the Insert Moodle Media icon in the WYSIWYG editor. It looks like a strip of film. Search for an upload your file. As long as you have media players enabled in your Admin settings it will embed the file in that window when you save. I've not found this method to work across all browsers/operating systems. The only method I've found that works all of the time is embedding the file from YouTube.

2. MP4 or M4V will play on iPads.

3. Yes, don't link to the video but embed it on a page/assignment.

4. Maybe they're using the Back button instead of clicking on a link that takes them to the main page.

5. You're better off making screencasts of powerpoints and embedding the videos. This is one of those things that will not work on all browsers. Can you save as an htm or html and then embed those files? You may also try embedding them from SkyDrive. If you cannot do either then the download may be your best option. Even if you convert the file in Google Drive and try to embed you may lose some formatting and display options in FireFox.

PowerPoint is one of the worst things that ever found its way into online education.

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

by Gideon Williams -

Brian re: PowerPoint

Have you tried iSpring? converts powerpoints into Flash and HTML5. http://www.ispringsolutions.com/ispring-pro

There is a version that is free (but I think is flash based) but can also convert powerpoints to SCORM1.2 

In reply to Gideon Williams

by Derek Chirnside -

Further to Gideon's post, iSpring has just bought out a new version (v7) that has this to say: 

Dual-mode Flash & HTML5
Presentations from PowerPoint
Convert PowerPoint slides to interactive presentations in HTML5, Flash or combined format for viewing them on desktops, laptops and mobile platforms.

The Pro version is very expensive, mind you it does a lot.