After Question Answered it does not Proceed to the next question

After Question Answered it does not Proceed to the next question

by Christopher Lanne -
Number of replies: 10

I have the re-take option set at "yes" because if I set it to "no" if a student does not answer all the questions during one session they will not be able to access the lesson again to finish.  It would be nice to be able to set it to "no" and students to be able to access the lesson more than once but I can live with it if there are no suggestions.

What I cannot live with is I have the option for trying the question again set to "no" but if the student answers incorrectly  (as a side note: how is it decided what the correct answer is??)  it just reposes the same question again and again until the "correct" answer is chosen?

Please help...I am a novice. 

1. How is it determined what the correct answer is?

2. How can I get the lesson to proceed to the next question regardless of what answer is chosen?

Thanks,

Christopher

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Lanne

Re: After Question Answered it does not Proceed to the next question

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which version of Moodle are you using?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Christopher Lanne -

I'm using version 2.4.1.  I figured out the problem with "proceeding to the next question" ; however, I still cannot figure out how to let students begin the lesson without completing it and not be blocked from coming back later to complete.  The message states: "you cannot retake this lesson"

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Christopher.

1.-"It would be nice to be able to set [the "Re-takes allowed" option] to "no" and students to be able to access the lesson more than once..."

This does not make sense. If you want the students to be able to access the lesson more than once, you must set [the "Re-takes allowed" option] to "yes". That is precisely what that setting is meant for.

2.- "I still cannot figure out how to let students begin the lesson without completing it and not be blocked from coming back later to complete."

I suppose you mean you want to allow students to begin a lesson and leave it without completing, i.e. leave the lesson before reaching its last page. When a student "abandons" a lesson before the end and wants to resume that same lesson later on, they are presented with a choice of :

You have seen more than one page of this lesson already.
Do you want to start at the last page you saw?

Are your students not seeing this message?

Joseph

by Christopher Lanne -

Hi Joseph,

Yes, that is correct, students are not seeing any messages.  If they leave the lesson before it is complete and come back, then when they come back they must start over as if they never had been there.  Additionally, if a student answers an essay question, it does not show up, i.e. when I check for essay answers it states no one has completed an essay question.

I have the box for retakes unchecked as well as the box for repeating a question unchecked...I'm at a loss here.

Any help is much appreciated.

Christopher

by Joseph Rézeau -

Christopher "I have the box for retakes unchecked as well as the box for repeating a question unchecked...I'm at a loss here."

There is no "check box for retakes" nor for "repeating a question". Please use the exact terms shown in the Lesson settings interface, otherwise you are only adding to the confusion. There is a dropdown list called "Re-takes allowed" which you can set to Yes or No and a dropdown list called "Provide option to try a question again". Are those the "boxes" you are alluding to in your post?

Christopher: "Additionally, if a student answers an essay question, it does not show up,..." Yes that is a bug that has been mentioned quite a few times and we are currently working towards a solution.

Joseph

by Christopher Lanne -

I have "re-takes allowed" set to "no". 

Am I right to understand that the Lesson Module does not work properly and there is no solution to fix it, regarding the essay answer being accessible by the teacher? 

I truly appreciate all the hard work that has gone into Moodle and the associated modules but I don't understand why something is offered that does not work properly.  I spent hours creating the questions that I guess I'll never see the answers to...

Should I "not" use the lesson module?  Or is there a way to use it where the students answers can be reviewed and they can return later to complete the lesson without having to start over?

Thanks,

Christopher

by Christopher Lanne -

Also...before I unchecked the box that students must view the material and checked the box students must receive a grade, they would get the message "you cannot retake this lesson" when they came back to resume the lesson.

by Joseph Rézeau -

"Also...before I unchecked the box that students must view the material and checked the box students must receive a grade, they would get the message "you cannot retake this lesson" when they came back to resume the lesson."

Sorry, I dont' understand the "before" in this sentence. I expect you are using the "Restrict access" or "Activity completion" features in your Lesson activity?

Joseph

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you build question pages, each answer has it's own section.  At the bottom of each response section is a field for Score.  This is where you determine right and wrong.  0 is wrong, more than 0 is right, essentially. 

Getting the page to move to the next question page/regardless of the answer chosen is slightly tricky.  Generally, it will always display the same page and feedback before moving on.  I have managed (accidently) to get it to jump directly, which was both weird and cool...gave me a bunch of ideas.

First, your lesson settings, make sure display default feedback to No.  This means it depends on the question to provide feedback.  Then, in the question, change the Jump to Next Page (or the page you want to appear next) for all your answers.  Remove all the feedback.  It doesn't have anything to say about their answer, so it jumps directly to the next page. 

I'm not fond on the way feedback displays, so I think this provides some opportunities to create feedback pages where the question jumps to the correct feedback without displaying the question again (which confuses some silly people).  Then each feedback directs you to the next content/question page. 

That said, the way it is set up makes sure the student knows what the question is, what they answered and either what the answer was (if it is in the feedback) and what you want them to know about it.  If you just want them to answer questions and never get any feedback on right/wrong, I'd just use the quiz, have each question on a separate page and leave feedback off.  I suppose if your purpose is to require them to answer each question in order, with no ability to move between questions, that wouldn't work and lesson would be easier.  Okay!  Enough rambling!  I hope that was helpful and supplemented Joseph's more technical (but always helpful) assitance.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Christopher Lanne -

Thanks Melanie, I really appreciate your taking the time to post feedback.

Warmest Regards,

Christopher