See all forum posts by user

See all forum posts by user

by Scott Goode -
Number of replies: 8

Is there a way to see all forum posts by a single user and see some basic statistics about that individual user's posts?

I want to assess the students on the overall quality of their posts in a discussion.  But with 27 participants, each doing 10 plus postings over 6 different sub conversations, it is tough to pull out an overall trend for a specific user rather than just rating at the individual message level.  It would be great to sort by an individual user within a thread and 'see' all of their posts in one place and maybe some basic statistics:

• Total Posts
  • Average Post Length in characters
  • Minimum Post Length in characters
  • Maximum Post Length in characters
  • Etc.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Goode

Re: See all forum posts by user

by Christine Healey -

I can't help you with the statistics bit of your question, but you can see all forum posts by a single user through the Activity reports/Complete report, which is tabbed on the user profile (I'm using 1.9 but I expect it's similar in 2.) and that includes forum posts to Q and A forums, which are not visible in the 'forum posts' tab on the Profile.

In reply to Christine Healey

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can do an advanced search on surname and that will show a count of posts. Not quite what you are looking for, but a start.

In reply to Scott Goode

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can see all forum posts by a given user in a course, or in a site, in their profile. For example:

but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

The OU's ForumNG does have this sort of feature, or if it does not have it yet, it is being developed now.

In reply to Scott Goode

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Scott, I am going to offer you another perspective to the question you ask.

In a product like Blackboard, your need is extreme because Blackboard does not offer any way to grade individual posts (as I recall).  For example, in Blackboard, if you want to know how many posts were made by a user you might manually count them.

Moodle, on the other hand, provides the ability to "Rate" (or grade) each individual post.  Additional, you can pick from a variety of tallying options, such as "Sum of the ratings", "Count of the ratings", "Max..", "Min", and a few more.  So, for example, if you are interested in tallying "total posts", this is simply done by giving each post a rating of 1 and choosing "Count of the ratings".

Now, this doesn't help with knowing the "average, minimum, or maximum post lengths" as you requested.  But I have a personal philosophy about this.  I believe that the quality of a post has little to do with the number of words or characters, so I never use this type of criteria.  Instead, I tell my students that I read every post (something that some instructors don't do because they say it takes too long) and then I give them between 0 and 2 points.  For a student to get a perfect score (an "A") on discussions, they have to achieve a total of 8 points.  Then, in Moodle, I use "Sum of ratings" to tally their scores.

I find that by reading a post, in context, is the best way to judge what a student is saying.

Of course, none of this can be be done in a product like Blackboard, so one has to resort to a method of simply counting characters or words (which also can't be done in Blackboard).

I certainly understand your question and needs, and don't take any of what I say as critical, I am only trying to give you another perspective that might help you solve your problem.  Maybe you already know about Moodle's rating feature, but maybe not.

Good luck.

(By the way, I do use the technique that Marcus suggested after a discussion is over and I notice that a student might have a low score.  I wonder, "Did this student really not do much, or did I forget to grade one of the posts?"  So then, I go into the Advanced Search feature to explore how many posts a student made.  If I notice that I forgot to grade a post, it is a simple matter to click on "See this post in context", and then provide an appropriate grade.  I find the Moodle feature to be extremely useful.)

In reply to Scott Goode

by thiago oliveira -

I know that Moodle 1.9 had the feature that enabled professors to access all posts by one student.

All the professor had to do was to access a student's profile and click the button "see all posts in the forum" (or something like that).

Now I use Moodle 2.4 and I don't find this feature.

Does anyone know how to get it?

In reply to thiago oliveira

by Rick Jerz -

Have you tried the Advanced search from the Search Forum block?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by thiago oliveira -

I just tried and it does work!

Thank you!

In reply to thiago oliveira

by Rick Jerz -

Well, now that you know about this "subtle" tool I think that you are going to start having a lot of fun.

I make the Search tool available to students.  Sometimes students wonder where they have made posts, and how many.  This tool is really great.

I am going to add another 2 cents (U.S. currency).  Moodle is the only major LMS that has this forum search tool.  Not in BB, not in D2L, not in Canvas.  This is really a very cool feature of Moodle!