Graphic Design

Graphic Design

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 39
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can anyone find me a good graphic designer to do a bit of work on moodle.org?

I want to really spiff up the content on the front page and elsewhere...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Graphic Design

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not exactly local to you, but this chap (David Russell) has dome some fantastic work for me and others I have been associated with in the past.

http://www.hyphendesign.co.uk/

Also, we have Craig in our department who is a pretty good designer. I don't think he will mind me saying that he isn't in the same league as David above, but he'll probably be free, and he's already designed that little double arrow for moving activities smile !!

by Michael Penney -
Hmm, what would be pretty nice would be a 'switch theme' menu on the front page, so folks checking Moodle out could see a few really nice themes & get an idea of Moodle's flexibility (I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to folks new to Moodle that it doesn't have to be orangewide eyes).

Regarding designers, those folks at monkeypuzzle did the nicest Moodle theme I've seen.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good idea, I'll do something like that on the demo site.

For Moodle.org, though, I think it needs to be one consistent theme so we have a common point of reference.

by Ferdy Lim -

I would be happy to help doing some graphic design works for Moodle. Please check www.ourwebclass.com/courses to see one of my customized Moodle Themes.

Please note the site is in the upgrading process in the next few days, but you still can login and work inside it.

Tell me how to get it started. FYI, actually I have sent you email to Martin regarding helping Moodle in graphic design works, but it seems he is busy to see the inbox.

moodle.org front page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Let me try a different tack by being specific, because I'd like to get this done soon. Perhaps you can help me find graphics.

I'm rewriting the front page there to have four short distinct paragraphs flowing down the page, and I want a nice shiny graphic for each to flow around. The idea is to make things really accessible for new people while still providing easy links for regulars.

The graphics should be styled and clean with a light shadow, something slick like this sort of thing or a bit friendlier.

1. The first paragraph will be for newbies, with a very brief explanation of what Moodle is and a link to an online 5-minute presentation. So we need a good icon that represents that, like a question mark with a Moodle hat on.
  2. The second paragraph is about the community, and will link to various important areas (especially this course). The icon needs to be a group of several people (with Moodle T-shirts on!). Clicking on that icon will bring you here too (shortcut for regulars).
  3. The third section is about documentation, and will point out all the major sources of information about Moodle in more depth, including developer-level information and other reference stuff.  Perhaps a big reference book?
  4. The fourth section is about downloading stuff.  Where to find the main distribution, mention CVS, blocks repository, themes repository etc.  So a packing case, or perhaps one of those fake retail boxes with Moodle on the cover.

Even some temporary graphics I can put in there would be welcome. I'll be working on the text tonight.

Re: moodle.org front page

by Darren Smith -
There are some tutorials on these sites for a book (documentation) and software box:

http://www.billybear4kids.com/neobook/tutorial/EBook01.html
http://www.billybear4kids.com/neobook/tutorial/SoftwareBox01.html

I may have a go myself in fireworks if I get time but if it's any good then it would be a fluke wink

What information / graphics would you like on in particular?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -
OK, so it's a bit naff. I'll pretend it only took me 5 mins blush

How about a competition for the best big grin
Attachment moodle_box.jpg
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -
OK, still not great but less embarrassing (thanks for the links, Ray approve)
Attachment moodlebox.jpg
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -
Right that's it - I'm going to bed now wink

Attachment moodlebook.jpg
In reply to Darren Smith

by Vu Hung -
Very nice, Darren!
In reply to Vu Hung

by Darren Smith -

Thank you, that's very kind. I wasn't expecting them to get used though - even temporarily!!!!

Martin, here is a version without 1.5, with the new front page, a bit more orange on the spine and a flatter view. Let me know if you need anything changing.

(I'll let you resize it if you are going to use it as I can never get a sharp, small image)

Darren

Attachment take2.jpg
In reply to Darren Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Can you make it more like a box sitting on a shelf? Ferdy's perspective was good there. Just a bit fatter and more grounded. And perhaps not the site itself on the front page, again, Ferdy's basic layout was good, just the icons/colors weren't proper.

It feels nice being the one making demands for a change. smile

by Jeffery Watkins -
Here is a crack at the question mark idea.

I'll make changes and/or send the psd.  I take a crack at the others also.

Jeff
Attachment moodlequestionmark.jpg
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Jeffery Watkins -
I liked Eloy's ideas... they seemed to have vanished... but here is a take on his big M and download graphic.

Jeff
Attachment moodledownloads.jpg
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Mark Pearson -
I like this one. Makes it obvious that it's an action icon.

Mark

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

some simply ideas (my artistic capabilities are really limited!) but I love to draw silly animated graphics sometimes...

people.gifmoodle_m.gifdownload.gif

Ciao smile

Edited: Ops. Deleted by error....Just re-posting them...

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Just a comment on the wording on the moodle.org front page:
Moodle has a large and diverse user community with over 40,000 users

This is ambiguous and might lead a casual reader to conclude that this is an estimate of total Moodle usage worldwide.  I would suggest something like

Moodle has a large and diverse user community with over 40,000 users registered on this site alone.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Dougiamas -
In fact the total number of users would probably be pushing a million, I guess (counting all the students and teachers ...)

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
By the way, I have heard that if each person on the Earth logged into moodle.org ten seconds apart, the logging in would never end. smile

(at present birth rates)

by Timothy Takemoto -

That assumes only 25 students per participant, so it could be a lot higher. It might be an interesting topic for a poll. How many students attend your moodle (possibly divided by the number of people who attend these forums from your moodle, but lets leave that out).
Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
This statistic is one of the new ones in Moodle registration for 1.5. eg moodle.org

Courses: 36
Users: 48542
Enrolments: 13718
Teachers: 77
Questions: 1499
Resources: 368

So when you all upgrade please re-register and help us build up a big picture of how Moodle is being used.

by Ferdy Lim -

Yes some icons at OurWebClass.com are from foood.net.

As noted by Martin we need to have customized graphic, I made below pic for 'download' section. It's still draft and need more photoshop touch. Tell me your idea ?

Attachment draftdownload.jpg
In reply to Ferdy Lim

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, a box would be good, but it should use standard Moodle logos (JPEG version here), match this web site, and not have "1.5" on it (otherwise it will date quickly). And some shadows would be nice.  wink

As you can see I'm experimenting with some images on the front page, but I'll happily switch to better ones as they arrive (any animations need to be very subtle, I think ;) )

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
very subtle. I get so nervous from sites with animations. Especialy when there is text to read, it can be unpleasant.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Ferdy Lim -

I just browsing to livejournal.com, a blogging website, there is live stats in the frontpage. As Martin make some changes at frontpage, I have an idea to put 'stats' section. The content may be:

Live stats

Registered Moodle Sites
Universities : xx,xxx sites
Schools      : xx,xxx sites
Companies    : xx,xxx sites
Others       : xx,xxx sites

Moodle 1.5
Courses      : 36
Users        : 48,582
Enrolments   : 13,718
Teachers     : 77
Posts        : 102,384
Questions    : 1,499
Resources    : 368

[XML]

Attachment statsinthefrontpage.jpg

by Ferdy Lim -

Thanks Timothy . Revised download icon uploaded below as Martin's wishes wink Other icon please wait....

Attachment downloadlogo.jpg

by Ferdy Lim -
And I also just finishes "We are Moodlers" icon. Any suggestion and comments is welcome?
Attachment wearemoodlers_small_size.jpg
In reply to Ferdy Lim

Svar: Re: Graphic Design

by Anders Berggren -
This stuff all looks great, congratulations.
The moodlers look funny stort leende and serious,
moodling is fun.
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: Graphic Design

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, too serious ... they look like robots...   wink

Re: Svar: Re: Graphic Design

by Ferdy Lim -

How about the other Icons? Any futher changes? smile I tried to send MSN message to Martin many times but failed sad I don't know what happen..... always busy may be smile