The download link that you are taken to from my screen shot in the first post is http://download.moodle.org/download.php/direct/stable24/moodle-latest-24.zip
If you extract this to an empty directory, the version file contains the following:
* MOODLE VERSION INFORMATION
* This file defines the current version of the core Moodle code being used.
* This is compared against the values stored in the database to determine
* whether upgrades should be performed (see lib/db/*.php)
* @package core
* @copyright 1999 onwards Martin Dougiamas (http://dougiamas.com)
* @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU GPL v3 or later
defined('MOODLE_INTERNAL') || die();
$version = 2012120302.03; // 20121203 = branching date YYYYMMDD - do not modify!
// RR = release increments - 00 in DEV branches
// .XX = incremental changes
$release = '2.4.2+ (Build: 20130315)'; // Human-friendly version name
$branch = '24'; // this version's branch
$maturity = MATURITY_STABLE; // this version's maturity level
When I do directly to the downloads section of moodle.org I do not have this problem.