Missing edit icons after upgrade

Missing edit icons after upgrade

by Ray Lewis -
Number of replies: 6

Hi. Your advice would be appreciated with respect to a problem encountered after a upgrade from 2.41 to 2.42 according to email instructions received 3/10/13. I copied the zip file into my moodle folder and unzipped it from the cpanel.

The upgrade went smoothly but then I noticed a problem in the forum section of the course area. The problem is with the edit functions in the “Your new discussion topic” area. The “message” header is missing most of the edit functions as indicated in the print screen below:

The only 2 edit functions available are: “Prevent automatic linking,” and “Insert moodle media.” Previously, many more edit features were available such as insert test, insert WP, alignment icons, etc.

I changed my php versions from 5.41 to 5.42, but that didn’t help.

I am at a loss as to what to do next…

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Ray Lewis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Lewis

Re: Missing edit icons after upgrade

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Ray,

Did you clean out your Moodle folder (taking a copy of the config.php file to put back after unzipping) before unzipping?

If so, then try performing a 'Purge All Caches' -> http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Developer_tools

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ray Lewis -

Thank you, Gareth. Purged cache but didn't work. And yes, I did copy my old config.php to new moodle folder.

I found this "suggestion" while troublshooting in site admin.server.environment:

php_extension xmlrpc should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results

The xmlrpc extension is needed for hub communication, and useful for web services and Moodle networking

Check

Could that be casuing the problem? That message was there before the upgrade though.

Thanks,

Ray

In reply to Ray Lewis

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Possibily, but I doubt it.

Actually 2.4.2 was a 'bug' version, I would suggest using 2.4.3.  Also being icons generated by JavaScript in the TinyMCE editor, does clearing the cache at the browser end help?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Ray Lewis

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What do you see when going to:

http://yoursite/moodle/admin/settings.php?section=editorsettingstinymce

There is a config box for editing the toolbar:

Default:
fontselect,fontsizeselect,formatselect,|,undo,redo,|,search,replace,|,fullscreen

bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,sub,sup,|,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,|,cleanup,removeformat,pastetext,pasteword,|,forecolor,backcolor,|,ltr,rtl

bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,|,link,unlink,|,image,nonbreaking,charmap,table,|,code

fontselect,fontsizeselect,formatselect,|,undo,redo,|,search,replace,|,fullscreen bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,sub,sup,|,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,|,cleanup,removeformat,pastetext,pasteword,|,forecolor,backcolor,|,ltr,rtl bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,|,link,unlink,|,image,nonbreaking,charmap,table,|,code

Also wonder if all files were transferred during FTP session.
'spirit of sharing', Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by Ray Lewis -

Can't be sure but edit looks okay as follows:

How would I know if all files xfered successfully? There were no error messages. I'd be happy to do it again if that's the best approach?

Thanks,

Ray

In reply to Ray Lewis

Re: Missing edit icons after upgrade - Solved!

by Ray Lewis -

Thank you Gareth and Ken,

I upgraded to 2.43+ and the icon's were kind enough to magically reappear. I sincerely appreciate your time and patience,

Ray