Teachers should only see theire own students/courses

Teachers should only see theire own students/courses

by Klaas Hobo -
Number of replies: 14

Hi there,

I have one moodle installation and multiple teachers. Every teacher must be able to add users to the system he/she will be teaching, in an easy way (preferably with a csv import). What I do not want is that the teachers see or change settings of users the other teachers work with. 

To put it as simple as I can: every teacher should have his own environment and be able to only manage his/her own courses and students. 

How can I do this as simple as possible without installing multiple moodle servers?

Regards, Klaas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Klaas Hobo

Re: Teachers should only see theire own students/courses

by Adi Tedjasaputra -

Hi Klaas,

By default, every teacher will be able to add users to his/her own course, but not with a csv import. csv import is the priviledge of admin. However, I like your idea of teacher being able to upload users with a csv import to his/her own course.

In reply to Adi Tedjasaputra

by Klaas Hobo -

I have tried for a day to change all kind of permissions and roles to get the job done but I really did not see a way how to do this. The user administration is done in the system at the basic level (and I can understand that) but I would like to handle it in the course level or maybe at the (per) teacher level.

The reason is that the teachers are from different companies and so the users are also. They should never see other users than those they teach to. 

In reply to Klaas Hobo

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That would be a great feature.  I currently, as admin, upload all users but have given teachers the ability to add/delete existing users from their courses as I also do not want them being able to affect other users.  The problem is that user import is a system wide process designed for bulk import and so there are no limitations by course or group.  A course specific import or at least an easier gui for user adding would be a great feature.  I suggest putting a request on the tracker and then post the link here so that we can vote on it.

In reply to Klaas Hobo

by Hubert Chathi -

How would this work?  If a student is taught by two teachers, would they have two accounts?  Or would both teachers be able to edit their account?

Basically, I don't think there is a way to do this with Moodle as it is right now.  There are some addons, such as Remote Learner's ELIS that provide similar functionality, though I don't remember exactly how much of that functionality you can get from it.

In reply to Klaas Hobo

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What about giving the tutors access to a separate database, then using moodle's external database feature to enrol the students on the correct courses? I'm sure a front end could be set up farily quickly using something like cakephp to create a database where teachers only had access to add/edit students on their own courses and not students they had not created???

Just an idea - I have not tried it out or anything!

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that you could play with the user import tool where it would automatically fill the course number from the course and thus only let the students into that course.  Good point about multiple teachers doing this - if students were set up with different user names, then they would have separate accounts and that would be bad.  I use a specific naming convention on my site and probably would not like teachers just randomly making stuff up!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Klaas Hobo -

Thank you all for this great discussion! The best I see for my solution so
far is (in that order):

1) a new installation of Moodle for each teacher or
2) import users myself, perhaps with a csv file a teacher supplies with the
course# in the fields or
3) other tools like ELIS or customization in some form

Ik really hope there are more possibilities with a basic installation of
Moodle because I am not looking for a lot of customization and the path to
new development. I need to descide in a few days/weeks on how to move on.
After making the basic descisions I will not easy be able to change again.

If there are more suggestions to help me out then that would be great!

In reply to Klaas Hobo

by Tim Childe -

Is there any update on this, as I'm am in virtually the same situation.

The registering of students etc isn't such a big problem and I'm happy to sort that as admin if I have to, but I'm keen that the courses / cohorts are kept seperate.

Same reason - different group/companies using different courses, and need to keep the seperate without having multiple installations.

I've got it so students can only see courses they're enrolled on, but that stops auto enrollment, or even requests to be enrolled.

Can the course categories be used to help here?

I would like people from ClientA to be anble to access some or all of course for ClientA, but not be able to see anything to do with ClientB etc

Thanks

TIm.C

In reply to Tim Childe

by Emma Richardson -

If you force people to the My Moodle page, this will only list their courses.  You should then be able to remove access to see other courses in the navigation settings.  It is easy to play with permissions so that teachers can only see details for their students (I am not sure that this isn't actually the default).  Categories could also be set up too so that teachers can only access their own category.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Childe -

>>Categories could also be set up too so that teachers can only access their own category.  <<

That's the bit I'm still struggling with, but I'll work it out eventually, I'm sure ;)

What I really want is a setting that says UserA can only access CategoryA courses/content etc - like group permissions in ActiveDirectory.

In reply to Tim Childe

by John Gifford -

You haven't mentioned what version of Moodle you are using but would cohorts be worth a look if you are using v2 onwards.

I would setup each teacher as a course creator and/or manager for their own category. Create the category and then apply permissions there through 'settings'--> 'assign roles'. They can then create courses and sub categories within their own category, whilst the other categories they will be the default of a student in. Then as category level Managers they should then be able to create cohorts at that category level. I think cohorts can be imported like you want through a CSV file, though don't quote me as I've had no need to try it myself. The courses then have the cohort sync enrolment method attached as the only enrolment method; that will then only allow members of the individual cohort to gain access, any student in the cohort has access, not in the cohort gets denied.
Teachers from another company will not be able to access the course itself because they will be a student outside their own category and the cohort setting will lock them out as they won't be a part of that particular cohort.

The only time you as the admin would then need to be involved is if students try to transfer from one company's courses to another, changing cohorts. Even then teacher A removes the student from their cohort, while teacher B adds the student to theirs; whether past work will transfer with them I couldn't tell you.

John Gifford

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Gifford

by Tim Childe -

Thanks, brilliant answer.

I think I know roughly where I'm going now.

I'm building this from scratch doing all roles at the moment, so on a steep learning curve.

Yep, I should have mentioned the version - as it is a brand new implementation I'm on the latest version - 2.6.something  (I wish it was easier to check - I'm used to phpBB with version numbers really clear)

Current plan is to use Categories to keep the courses seperate, and then Cohorts to organise and seperate the students.  Then maybe groups within that - but I haven't got that far yet.

In the end the biggest 'client' will have around 2000 students across 31 cohorts / groups (others will be much smaller) so I will have to look at importing users at some point....but for now I'm doing it manually, which doesn't seem to have a sensible work flow at all; but that could just be me as I'm learning my way around.

Thanks for all the help.

Tim.C

In reply to Tim Childe

Re: Teachers should only see their own students/courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim - to check your Moodle version just go to Administration> Site administration>Notifications (one clicksmile)