Ideas needed for choice settings page refactor

Ideas needed for choice settings page refactor

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dear Choice users,

Coming soon in Moodle 2.5 are forms with collapsible sections. You can see them in action on the QA testing site. wide eyes

As a result, the choice settings page could do with a bit of improving / refactoring (see screenshot below). If you have any ideas, please let us know, in order to help Fred with MDL-38573.

Attachment choice_settings.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Ideas needed for choice settings page refactor

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here's my suggestion for improving the choice settings page (with section titles in bold):

General
Choice name
Description
Display description on course page
Limit the number of responses allowed
Allow choice to be updated
Option
Limit
Option
Limit
Option
Limit
Option
Limit
Option
Limit (just providing space for 5 options for starters)

Availability
Restrict answering to this time period
Open
Until

Results
Publish results
Privacy of results
Show column for unanswered

Common module settings

Restrict access (if conditional access is enabled)

Activity completion (if completion tracking is enabled)

I suggest also that we get rid of the boxes Option 1, Option 2, Option 3 etc. around each option, as they take up space and don't seem necessary. Perhaps the limit for each option could be put next to the option, rather than below?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frédéric Massart ⭐ -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I like your idea very much Helen, especially getting rid of the headers for the option and adding the limit inline.

If we're going with the options without headers, do you think it'd be good to have them all in one section with the 2 other associated settings?

In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

by Helen Foster -

Dan, thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. Thanks also for your wonderful work in maintaining the choice activity. approve

Fred, yes, I think the options should be included in the general section, since at least one is required. I also think we could reduce the number of options from 8 to 5, to take up less space, as people can always click the button to add 3 more options.

Regarding "the 2 other associated settings", do you mean 'Limit the number of responses allowed' and
'Allow choice to be updated'?

I put 'Limit the number of responses allowed' above the options, as you explained in the tracker issue that it had to go above.

I then put 'Allow choice to be updated' directly below it, as I there didn't seem a better place to put it, as it didn't fit with the results settings. However maybe someone has a better idea?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Poltawski -

Fred, yes, I think the options should be included in the general section, since at least one is required.

I think it would be nice to have the options in a different section, but forced open by default. Just to make them 'choice answers' visually distinctive from the rest of the settings. (I think that grouping some things in their own section helps quickly get to the option you need).

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Dan, on reflection I think you're right, that a different section which is forced open by default is the best way to go. I've added a section 'Options' to the settings pages review spreadsheet.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -

Here's a revised suggestion for the choice settings page, with options in a separate section, together with the setting 'Limit the number of responses allowed' (as suggested by Fred in MDL-38573). 'Display mode' is also included in the options section, as it seemed to make sense that after entering a number of options, a teacher would then decide how to display them.

I also included the setting 'Allow choice to be updated' in the options section, but perhaps it's better left in the general section. What does everyone think?

General
Choice name
Description
Display description on course page

Options
Limit the number of responses allowed
Option, limit
Option, limit
Option, limit
Option, limit
Option, limit
Display mode
Allow choice to be updated

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think I prefer the "display mode" and "allow update" settings to sit in the general section - but I'm not worried either way... If the general consensus is to put them there it doesn't worry me.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Paula Clough -

I think the idea to have the limit in it's own section but forced open will help keep things visually organized and separated.   I also agree with Dan that having the "allow update" and the "display mode" in the general settings is a good place for them. I think they will kind of get over looked  if put in collapsed sections.

Paula cool