Newbie Enrolment questions

Newbie Enrolment questions

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

While I don't pretend to be the brightest button in the box, I'm completely confused by the whole enrolment/cohorts/role settings. It's probably best if I first try to explain what I'm trying to do.

I want to have 3 types of user:

1. Admin (ie me) - can do everything
  2. Teachers - can view courses/grades etc. Add/edit/delete/view their own students (but no one elses)
  3. Students - can view all courses/activities but only see their own grades.

Teachers can create an account from the Create New Account button on the login page and use email authorisation to activate their account. Student accounts are created by users with the Teacher role.

So where am I so far? I have the default Admin account which I am using - this account has no roles assigned to it. I have 2 roles (excluding Guest/Auth user/Auth user on frontpage), these are Teacher & Student. I can create an account from the login page and log in using this smile

So what I want to know is...

1. Rather than having to assign every individual user to a course can I automatically let everyone who has a role of student to access the course?
  2. When a new account is created, (either by a Teacher role adding her students or via the front end) can this new account be automatically assigned the role of Student (and therefore automatically have access to all the courses - see 1. above)
  3. If only teachers can create an account via the front end, how can the Admin be notified of this user creation and assign the new user the role of Teacher?

Nice simple steps please wink Thank you all big grin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Newbie Enrolment questions

by Rob Woof -

Hi Dominic,

All of us were newbies at one time or other, so there should no embarrassment in being one.

One thing it took me a while to get my head around with Moodle is this important idea: the ONLY role that applies across the whole Moodle is "Administrator". Every other role is assigned at the course or activity level.

Examples: at the College where I work, we have some "courses" used for administrative purposes where the Faculty members are "Students" within those "courses". In other "courses", some members of the student body of the College have the role of "Teacher". We also have both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students, and some Postgraduate students help with teaching in Undergraduate courses, so they are Students in their allocated Postgrad subjects and Teachers (or Non-Editing Teachers) in the Undergrad subjects they are teaching in. Likewise, some of the upper-year Undergrad students tutor in first-year undergrad subjects, so have the same kind of mixed access.

Once you get your head around the "only Admins have a site-wide role", you can then plan how you handle everything else. That doesn't answer the questions you ask, but I hope it helps you understand the parameters of the system.

HTH

Rob

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deleted user

by jeff masiello -

Rob Woof is exactly correct. Maybe this will also help.

In Moodle there is a thing called Context. This is exactly what it sounds like. Just like a sentece in the news is often pulled out of context, a user can have a context as well. This is done to allow someone to be a teacher in one course and a student in another. So think of roles as "Collections of permissions".

Now, that doesn't help you in terms of your current conundrum which is "how do I get a person who is pretty much always going ot be a teacher the ability to create courses so I don't have to do it all the time?" At least I think this is what you're generally asking. In that case you need to set Site Wide Permissions.

CAVEAT: I may be wrong so test it. But basically you need to assign a role in the Context of the Site. So admin->users->permissions. there are a lot of things in there and some are still a little fuzzy to me. I think you need to assign system roles to a user. That then assigns them the role in the context of the whole system and allow that role to create classes int he define roles section. 

I hope i am right and not leading y ou on a wild goose chase.

In reply to jeff masiello

by Liz Katz -

And to add my 2 cents from my own experiences in the last 6 months...

I've discovered that it is better for me to create 'roles' that are more specific than student, teacher. I have a course creator, all student profile editor, etc. That way I can keep closer track of who can do what things. I am very careful about assigning these roles system-wide.  I assign course creators by category, for example.