Virtual Private Servers

Virtual Private Servers

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 5
I'm thinking about switching to a new host and am looking at going with a Virtual Private Server (VPS) but haven't decided yet. Basically I want a little more control over my sites and more domains - current host limits to six domains per account.

I've heard that VPS requires more knowledge and skills with regards to set up and maintenance, especially regarding security. At this point I don't really know much in that area. Is this difficult to pick up? What are the key points I should be aware of with regards to choosing a VPS host?

Currently I"m thinking about going with Registerfly's VPS Lite which only costs 14.95 per month if you pay for one year up front. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: Virtual Private Servers

by Nathan L. Clark, III -
I switched over to a VPS about a year ago and there is a lot to learn.  Basic  server operating system commands, Linux in my case, from a gui web-based/browser interface.  There will usually be a manual online.  Even if you have had experience, you may want to look through the manual first, to see what you will be dealing with.  Depending on how much control/knowledge you have had in the past, any VPS or dedi can be a lot of horsepower; tons of settings, which will take time to get right. 

There are security issues for which you will be responsible.(period)  Including spam, relay, and  don't let yourself become a zombie.  This is one of the reasons I'm getting out of hosting, somewhat.  I'm not going to have time to keep up with all the responsibility/liability that goes with it. 

Make sure you go with someone reputable.  Otherwise your host/datacenter may just disappear right in front of your eyes.  You don't want your work product bouncing down the highway in an 18 wheeler while the datacenter gets relocated.  For more damage control, it is a good idea to get a separate ftp account somewhere else.  Like zftp.com, for the purpose of sending backups off server.  This way you can restore to another server if need be.

I am about to buy my own server and co-locate it with someone local.  This is considerably more expensive, but you can go put your hands on your server and take it away if needed.  Go do some research at webhostingtalk.com.  Its best not to start a new thread, but just search and read.  If I was going to stay with a VPS, I would leave mine, Dinix (just got bought and moved), and would go with ServInt.net.

In reply to Nathan L. Clark, III

by Chris Ainsworth -

Nathan  - you have highlighted some interesting points.  I agree with you in principle with buying your own server ans co-locating it, however many do not have the technical skills and knowledge to maintain a server.  The next best option is to look for someone local who can assist or even host your virtual environment, or find another organisation that is close to you and using Moodle to see what arrangements could be made for co-hosting.  

The other valued resource that is often overlooked are the smaller local ISP's that have been around for a number of years and have stood the test of time.  They maybe slightly more expensive, but if local you have options, you can get on the phone and talk to a person (and not a machine). You also have the option of dropping by their premises and actually talking to the people that run the show. Nothing beets a Face-2-Face discussion. There is a sense of secutity in being able to do that.

Depending on your O/S, why not consider backing up to a machine located at your own place ratehr than to a third party. That will be dependant upon the amount of data you have, however it is certainly an oprtion, particularly under Linux.     

Just a few more thoughts.....

In reply to Chris Ainsworth

by Sean S -
Thanks for the tips guys. Going local is not an option as I live in a country where I am not fluent enough with the language to communicate at that level. I may hold off on going VPS and play around with turning my second computer into a server and learning the security issues etc.. Unfortunately it's not powerful enough to run the 5 sites I have so I would just use it as a learning tool.
In reply to Sean S

by James Phillips -
I use Atjeu for a VPS which is a lot more expensive but the support is quite amazing. They also have tutorial movies showing how to use the control panel (Web Host Manager) which are really useful and have a crash course one hour training thingy for 65 dollars over Skype which I haven't tried but sounds quite useful. The initial screening process was pretty severe though. Apparently, identity theft is rife at the moment.