clean frontpage

clean frontpage

by remco koffijberg -
Number of replies: 8

I would think there must be a post on this, but i can't find it...

I'm trying to create a frontpage with some text, pictures etc, and ONLY a login functionality. Somehow this is very difficult. 

The navigationblock stays on the front page, which allows non logged in users to see the list of courses. (which i want to prevent).

Is it possible to have no navigation block before login? 

Is there another solution?

thanks

Remco

Average of ratings: -
In reply to remco koffijberg

Re: clean frontpage

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

if you go to Settings > Site Administration > Security > Site Policies you can tick the setting to Force Users to Log in. You can then use your theme to style the login page with whatever images, text etc you want on it.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by remco koffijberg -

This works perfectly, thanks!

In addition (for later readers) you have to hide de guest login button, as explained here.

by Doug Moody -

I really don't want to create my own style, I just want to do what teh original poster asked. That is, just prevent the navigation block from shoing before login.

Why is this so difficult?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Richard Oelmann -

OK - Its not so difficult. The option of styling the login page was exactly that - an option to make the log in page look exactly the way you want it, in other words you can force it to look like a front page, or like a standard webpage, or like anything else you want.

But here's another option if you want to hide the navigation block on the front page, although it does involve a little bit of coding.

Not knowing what theme you are using or what Moodle version, this example uses Arialist in 2.3 (I actually did it first in my own krystle theme on 2.4.1, but I wanted to give an example from a core theme)

In frontpage.php add the highlighted lines:

$bodyclasses = array();
if ($showsidepost) {
    $bodyclasses[] = 'side-post-only';
} else if (!$showsidepost) {
    $bodyclasses[] = 'content-only';
}
if ($hascustommenu) {
    $bodyclasses[] = 'has-custom-menu';
}
if (!isloggedin() {
    $bodyclasses[]='notloggedin';
}

At the end of core.css add

.notloggedin .block_navigation {display:none;}

Note - if this is the only block in the column, it may leave you with an empty column but giving the space for the column as Moodle will detect that there should be a block there, its just being hidden by the css. This is not an issue if other blocks are used in that column, but may need a bit more fiddling with to find a better solution if Navigation is the only one you have there.

HTH

Richard

by Doug Moody -

Richard,

I am going to make the assumption that when you said to make the above changes to frontpage.php and core.css, you meant to change those files that were in the directory for the style you are using in your moodle.

Am I correct? I ask because someone might inadvertently change the frontpage.php file in the admin/settings directory. I think that would be a mistake.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Richard Oelmann -

Yes Doug, you are correct, the changes should be made in theme/arialist/layout/frontpage.php and theme/arialist/style/core.css - given that my example is based on using the arialist theme. I'm not sure why anyone would go looking in admin/settings when the post says I was giving an example using arialist theme and the response was about creating a style (or not having to!) but there we are.

Richard

by Doug Moody -

Richard,

I tried it in my own style (Binarius) and all it did was create a blank login page. Is there some secret I am missing?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Richard Oelmann -

Doug, apologies there is an error in the code from me retyping it rather than copying and pasting - I was using 2 different computers at the time, one with my Moodle on and one with my emails smile

In the theme/arialist/frontpage.php code there is a bracket missing from the if statement 

if (!isloggedin()) {
    $bodyclasses[]='notloggedin';
}

I'm not sure why this would affect the login page though as that uses general.php according to the binarius config.php file - unless it was throwing up the error before getting to the login page itself. I assume as you say the page was blank, you do not have any error reporting enabled - the error in what I copied would then cause a blank page on any page using the frontpage.php layout, so i would assume that is what happened in your case Doug.

Apologies, and the simple bracket added should fix it smile I've just retested it in Binarius on Moodle2.4 and it worked fine.

Richard

PS. If you need any further help with this, it may be better to repost into the themes forum as the discussion now (if it ever really was) is not really about Security and Privacy.

R