Future Development of Assignment

Re: Future Development of Assignment

by Tomasz Muras -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

I would also love to see "Time to Complete" as relavive date in Moodle. I imagine that this should really be part of the conditional activities, so for all the activities - not implemented separately for each.

For example, in section "Restrict access", for allowing access from/to - you could set up dates relative to your enrolment time, not just absolute dates. You could say that activity X is available to students X days after they enrol.
"Expect completed on" could also be set mean "students are expected to finish this activity within 10 days", instead of just a date.

The extension of this would be to move options in assignment module for "allow submissions from", "due date", "cut-off" date into generic module options (and then have each module to support those or not). This way, a common notifications framework could be easily built in Moodle (e.g. send email 1 day before cut-off date for any activity).

cheers,
Tomek

In reply to Tomasz Muras

by James McLean -

Regarding your last paragraph Tomek; we've developed functionality for this that we're calling the 'Deadlines' module, combined with advanced Extension management (student online requests, group extensions, global extensions etc). I have submitted it for further feedback from Moodle HQ, and will shortly be opening it to the community at large. If you'd like to have a look at it in some further detail, I have been documenting the development process here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216784

The code is beginning to mature now and is going through our internal UAT process, the source is on GitHub though I haven't made the URL public as yet.

In reply to James McLean

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

Hi James,

I had a look at your deadlines & extensions. Nice work there, I hope it will get integrated with the core at some point!

I'm still looking for the solution for relative dates though - I understand that you use exact dates for deadlines & extensions.

cheers,
Tomek

In reply to Tomasz Muras

by Jason Hardin -

I think that a fair bit of the functionality in Assignment needs to be pulled out and made more generic for all activities to have access to. Blind marking and team grading come to mind, and I know i have put in tickets requesting this from Daymon.

I also think that all assignments should have the option for due dates, cut off dates, and extensions. Both quiz and assignment have these implemented.  Seems like time to complete would need to be added to each of these dates as each could be different, except extension as that is based off the cut off or due date.