Short Answer Questions

Short Answer Questions

by Nicholas Bennett -
Number of replies: 4

Good evening. I am wondering if short answer solutions can contain math.  I try to use $$\sqrt{x}$$ for example, but it does not display as LaTeX. Your comments are def appreciated...

Best, Nick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicholas Bennett

Re: Short Answer Questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As you can see in your post, if the Moodle TeX filter is working properly, then equations will get rendered wherever you put them in places like the question text.

However, if the student types an equation as the answer to a short-answer question, that will not be rendered.

So, basically, what are you trying to do?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nicholas Bennett -

I am wondering why in this message I can type math and have it display $$y=mx+b$$, but in a short answer, why when putting a short answer in using the same money signs I don't get LaTeX displayed, so answer that should look like $$\dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{5}$$ look like \dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{5}. 

Even in the subject heading of this email, I can't product LaTeX. So I am wondering if there is a way to have LaTeX displayed for a short answer question when a student responds. I am hoping I can read the LaTeX produced equation when I review their answers. 

In reply to Nicholas Bennett

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The response the student types into a shortanswer question is not processed in any way. Some people write shortanswer questions about programming, or other technical areas, where special characters are important, and should not be messed around with.

If you want an question type that accepts TeX source ans input, and displays rendered TeX on review, then that would have to be a different question type.

One question type that does that, plus a whole lot more, is STACK: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=qtype_stack - but that is massive overkill for what you want.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nicholas Bennett -

Thanks for the reply.. Is that something the devlopers of moodle are thinking of doing?  If Stack is an overkill. Would be awesome if that could happen.