I've been trying to upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2, as per the the documentation, but have been having zero luck: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading. I would be grateful if anyone could spot where I am going wrong, as I am beginning to think I'm going mad. The instructions in the aforementioned URL simply do not work.
To breifly explain:
- My PHP status and settings are ready, MySQL is ready. All files backed up (I have reverted several failed upgrade attempts).
- I re-named the old moodle dir., and uploaded the complete standard install package (Moodle 2.2.7+ stable) as per the instructions on a seperate dir.
- I make a copy of the config.php in the old 1.9 dir., and move it into the new 2.2 dir.
- I attempt to run the installer from /admin/. I am then presented with an error relating to MySQL. I discovered that if I instead use the 'config.dist.php' file, fill out the relevant details, and also notably changing dbtype='mysqli' instead of the default dbtype='mysql', and saving it as config.php, the error finally disappears.
- However, I am now told that the /moodledata/ folder does not exist. So, fine, I copy across the moodledata folder from the 1.9 site, to the fresh 2.2 dir.
- The Moodle installation begins. Note- not at upgrade, just a blank, empty installation. It doesn't detect the contents of my database at all, it just uses it and overwrites it as a fresh install of Moodle! I even tried deleting the install.php and /install/ dir, but this makes no difference.
How do I upgrade? Have I downloaded the wrong package?