Journal/blogs

Journal/blogs

by Michael Fab -
Number of replies: 8

How do I use Moodle so the kids can keep a daily journal of what they have done. I don't want it for everyone, just them and me.

Thanks

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Fab

Re: Journal/blogs

by Alexandro Colorado -

I imagine, notes would serve that porpouse. Notes have more permissions management features, and are more than just messages, which works more like an exchange.

In reply to Michael Fab

by Alexandro Colorado -

I also remember assigments have a back and forth through comments, which is not exactly what you want but also is another venue to exchange something similar to notes/journal.

In reply to Michael Fab

by Paula Clough -

There are several ways to do this.  We have tried the following:

• Online assignment- students type right online. Teacher can go in and make comments.  Students have to be trained to work from the top and always add date.
  • WIKI- Individual wiki will only be seen by student and teachers. Both teachers and the individual student can post on the page.
  • Database- This was a database with a text field for each week.  Teachers had a text field that they could post comments to.  We used the feature where you could set each student could only post one entry and couldn't see any other posts until they had posted a number of posts.  We also used a little creative html programing to set up the fields nicely.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Mary Maronde -

Paula, would you be willing to share more details (and maybe your "creative html programming") for the database journal?

I set up a database journal for a graduate-level course and so far it's been unsuccessful and confusing to the students. I created a group for each student in the class, then populated those individual groups into a grouping called "weekly journal."

Unfortunately--yet somewhat understandably--most students are not reading the database's written instructions, which calls for them to add one entry and then update that first entry in subsequent weeks. Most of the students simply are adding multiple entries so the professor has to hunt and peck, trying to cobble all the entries into one cohesive whole.

Wish I could go back and start over, but it's too late. So I'd appreciate any suggestions so I can avoid this issue if/when we clone this Moodle site for a future course. 

In reply to Mary Maronde

by Paula Clough -

Mary,

I checked several versions of the database and it doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot, so I will explain I hope generically. This will allow only one post for each student and not allow them to see anyone else's post. No groups necessary for this, but can be used.

On the edit settings page, go to:

• Required entries:  1
  • Entries required before viewing:  50
  • Maximum entries: 1

This will only let them post 1 entry and a maximum of 1 entry, but they have to post 50 before they can view anyone elses post.  I have attached a screen shot of one that we are using.  The presets are a zip file attached as well. Set up your database then pull in the presets and you will see how we set up the templates. Journal was in Moodle 2.3. If it won't import into your database,  message me and I will send you the html.

Paula cool

Attachment database scrn shot.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)