My Live Powerpoint Presentation Sharing component for Moodle

My Live Powerpoint Presentation Sharing component for Moodle

by Ehsan Abbasi -
Number of replies: 10

Hi every one

It has been strong need for moodle users to have an effective virtual classroom environment to be loaded when "Enter the chat Room" link is clicked. Chat exists already. I have customized/changed some code of Moodle 1.4.3 to enable teachers to share the presentation made in PowerPoint during the online chat session. I have been working over it for last couple of months. This module contains the following features:

1. No need to install any extra server side software.
2. No need of any Activex or java Applet etc.
3. Powerpoint presentation is shared in the form of JPEG files (1 per slide).

Teacher END

1. Teaher needs to prepare Powerpoint Presentation before the online live session begins.
2. Use PPTtoZipExporter software (which i have developed specifically for moodle) to export the zip file a folder containing JPEGs of all slides.
3. Upload the zip file.

More details are given in the ReadMe file. I have uploaded the source along with PPTtoZipExporter at

http://aiou.com.pk/ehsan/liveppt.zip

If you get any kind of problem or figure out any bug, please inform me.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ehsan Abbasi

Re: My Live Powerpoint Presentation Sharing component for Moodle

by W Page -

Hi Ehsan!!

To you have a link to a working model of your script that you can share??

WP1

In reply to W Page

Working Model

by Ehsan Abbasi -

I have uploaded the technical document of this module at http://aiou.com.pk/ehsan/tech.zip. It will explain you the working model of my script. Previous link I provided contains the installation readme with source.

Ehsan

In reply to Ehsan Abbasi

Re: Working Model

by Aman Baso -
Hi Ehsan,

Your work has successfully integrated on my experiment moddle site. It works fine when I use it on the computer where I installed it.
But it is not when I try it on other client computers. The chat room window is displayed using liveppt layout. All components work fine except the slide. The slide (image) won't show up.
Any suggestion to overcome this problem?
Or I missed something?
I installed it using your html version instruction (3 steps covered).

FYI:
    All client computers using Windows XP and Firefox browser.

Thanks in advance.

Aman
In reply to Aman Baso

by Markus Knierim -

Hi Aman,

I had a similar problem: Because I use the German version of MS Office, the file names of the individual slides would be "Folie1.jpg" etc. and not "Slide1.jpg" etc., but after renaming the files everything was working just fine. So, if you're using a non-English version of MS Office, this might be the source of the problem.

I also noticed that the module does not (yet) work with Moodle 1.5, apparently because there were some changes in how the chat messages are stored and retrieved from the database. It would be cool if there was an update waiting around the corner wink

Please let me know if you need any help testing!

Cheers,
Markus

In reply to Markus Knierim

by Aman Baso -
Markus,

When I checked the files (in the server directory), they were already named as "Slide1.jpg, Slide2.jpg, etc."
And my MS Office is in English version.

May I know what server are you running on and also the client specifications?

Thanks for considering my problem. smile

Aman

In reply to Ehsan Abbasi

by Dennis Sherrer -
Have you tried Liveppt on Moodle version 1.5? If so, would the instructions for installation be the same?

Thank You,

Dennis Sherrer
In reply to Ehsan Abbasi

by Mahwish Waheed -

AOA Ehsan

The files you are referring are no more on web please kindly contact me i need your help urgently. i am using 1.9 version of moodle...i want help in liveppt integration module....

waiting for your reply

mah.wish9@ymail.com

In reply to Mahwish Waheed

by Juan Hernandez -

Hi Mahwish i ve the same observation as u, the files doesnt appear, also using 1.9 version.

do u ve any ans about it?

In reply to Ehsan Abbasi

by Juan Hernandez -
Hi Eshan, got a problem, need ur help.