Tabulate questions students missed the most often?

Tabulate questions students missed the most often?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 2

After students complete homework, I'd like to know which questions the most students got wrong on the first try, in order to discuss them in class.

I'm working with HotPot questions embedded in QuizPorts.

Can anyone think of a way to rank a set of homework assignments in terms of the number of wrong answers? I see how to look up each student separately under Quizports, but is there a way to create a chart showing each question and the average number of attempts for that question?

I'm just looking for a way a teacher can see what part of the assignment was hardest for the students.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Tabulate questions students missed the most often?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gerald,
have you tried the "Detailed statistics" report for aa single Hot Potatoes exercise within a QuizPort.

You can get to it thus ...

• from the Moodle couse page, enter the QuizPort activity
  • click the "Reports" tab
  • click on the "Attempt grade" of one of the students
  • click on the "Attempt score" of the quiz you are interested in
  • at the top of the page, near the "Quiz score" heading, click the statistics icon stats.gif
  • now you are looking at the "Overview" report for this Hot Potatoes exercise
  • at the top of the page click "Detailed statistics"
  • now you are looking at the "Detailed statistics" report for this Hot Potatoes exercise (see screenshot)
  • at the bottom of that page is the "Item Response Analysis" report (see screenshot)

The "Item Response Analysis" report will show you the range of reponses that students have given to each question and allow you to judge which items students often got wrong

regards
Gordon 

Attachment Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 8.41.44 AM.png
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: Tabulate questions students missed the most often?

by Gerald Grow -

Thanks, Gordon! Quizport and Moodle perform amazing record-keeping!

I'll see if teachers using my course find this information useful. I neglected to mention that I am using Moodle 1.9.