Using moodle for windows in a peer to peer environment?

Using moodle for windows in a peer to peer environment?

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 3

I am teaching in a primary school in China and would like to introduce the school to the benefits of using CAI using Moodle.  I am sure they are not willing to spend money to test something.  They have computer labs but nothing set up as a server now though they have peer to peer connectivity.  Is there any way to set up Moodle for Windows on each computer but have the students access their datafiles and also leave the results of their work on one of the computers using the peer to peer?  If I can show that this tool is useful I think I will have no trouble getting them to cough up the $$ for a server for next year but I have to make due with what I have now.  I have 43 students in each class.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Using moodle for windows in a peer to peer environment?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Does each computer have access to the Internet?  If so, consider setting up Moodle on a hosted server or on a virtual server.

In reply to Tom Connolly

by Peter Bowen -

Rather than setting up on each machine, why not pick one machine, set up the server on that, and then point each machine to that computer.

A moodle "Server", although preferred, does not actually need a server class machine - just any Wintel compatible machine. Preferably running Linux of some sort, although Windows workstation can be done with some modification. I have an old workstation at home where I am playing and setting things up - and it does the job fine.

In reply to Peter Bowen

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Has anybody thought of joining the classroom computers in to a cloud?

One machine, say the teacher's computer, is the master. Every student machine join that cloud automatically during start-up. One of the cloud services could be the Moodle cluster. Another easy one is file storage. One can also think of more advanced applications like super computing.

Yes, Windows could be a problem. I modified the subject accordingly.