Moving items through drag & drop doesn't work on FF 18.0.1 or Google Chrome

Moving items through drag & drop doesn't work on FF 18.0.1 or Google Chrome

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Number of replies: 12

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone's been having the same problem, or if it's just my machine: I can't move items in a course using Drag & Drop in Firefox (18.0.1) or Google Chrome. I recently upgraded Java. We have Moodle 2.3.1 on production site and 2.4 on test server, the problem's the same.

I can still rename, duplicate or delete a resource or file, or drag & drop upload a file, but I can't move them around in the course area - same goes for blocks or topics.

It does work on IE 9 (ironically)  so it seems browser related or linked to the version of java - version 1.7.0.11 

Has anybody else experienced this or can anybody suggest a solution for this?

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

Re: Moving items through drag & drop doesn't work on FF 18.0.1 or Google Chrome

by Rob Johnson -

It is working for me with FF 18.0.1 and Chrome.  I am using Moodle 2.3.3.  I remember a bug in early 2.3 releases regarding DD of course materials and topic sections, but I don't think it was browser specific.  I am pretty sure Java is not necessary for DD.  I can DD items using my Chromebook with no Java installed.  Have you tried another machine?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks for the info! Helps narrowing down things...

I've been trying out a few other things. It's not our install, as it works on another machine, as you suggested. on my computer, it also works for Safari and IE9. Weird...

Still think it's javascript related, as when I use quickjava extension on Firefox to disable javascript in firefox, I get the old icons to move things around. 

Thing is, still in FF, I cannot drag & drop on a course page to move an item (block, resource or activity), and drag & drop does not work on third party question type "drag & drop into text". However, it does work on the old third party question type "drag & drop ordering".

I uninstalled and reinstalled java, both latest 7 and 6 versions, rebooted and so on, to no avail.

I'll be trying out a few other things and have planned a reformat of my computer anyway, but I'd like to find the solution in case it happens to one of our users as well..

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

My guess is that it's related to this thread:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219604

In reply to Bret Miller

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

thxs, seems like it's the same problem indeed; will keep an eye on that thread, many thanks. 

by Haniel Burton -

Do you have any SmartBoard or other touch-enabled software installed on your computer?

In reply to Haniel Burton

by Paula Clough -

Thank you everyone here.  Removing the SmartBoard and FlowWorks software from my computer cleared up the problem in both FireFox and Chrome.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Haniel Burton

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Yes, there's a touchscreen, running Windows 7. Disabling tablet driver service works. Set up 2 bat files on my desktop to start or stop the service in Windows (have to restart the browser afterwards), they're attached to this post should anybody need them (they're harmless, if you want to see what they do, just open them with notepad. Tablet Stop only works if run as admin)

by Norbert Fischer -

Yes, stopping the tablet driver has resolved the issue for me. Thank you for the .bat switches.

In reply to Norbert Fischer

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

You're welcome.

I installed Windows 8 over the weekend and the problem exists there as well. The .bat files in previous post don't work though. Only way is to disable touch completely. I found several tutorials on the net (here and here) but that setting somehow is not available on my PC.

The only solution I found was to go to Device Manager > Human Interface Devices and disable the touchscreen (right-click > disable). If you're lucky, it'll be clear which one to disable (e.g. touch screen) but for me it's using standard windows drivers and I had to disable one of the generic "HID-compliant device", then restart the browser. Kind of tedious, but it works - not handy when you want to be able to use the touch and mouse input simultaneously, but OK when I'm working at the desk on external screen.

by Theo Hughes -

I had the same problem. Found this thread. And found that the workaround (of disabling the "Tablet PC Input Service") works for me.

I am running Firefox 21.0 on Windows 7 on an HP Elitebook 2740p (screen allows pen and multi-touch).

by Stephen Carter -

Thanks for this post Jean-Luc. This one has bothered me for a while and your solution worked a treat.

Cheers

by Pablo Moreno -

Your solution works.

Many times we don't waste a lot of time thaks to people like you.

Thank you very much for your help.