Learning Support System Role Problem(s).

Learning Support System Role Problem(s).

by Sam Thing -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all...

Two problems:

1. After upgrading to the latest stable 2.3.4 (it might have been before but no one noticed) the Learning Support permissions at a system level are overiding the permissions of Teacher at a course level. This didn't happen previously.
  2. There's no documentation of the Learning Support System role!!!!!!! surprise There's nothing about it on Google. sad Is this role discontinued and a legeacy from our 2.3 upgrade 6 months ago? dead

Cheers, Sam Thing.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Thing

Re: Learning Support System Role Problem(s).

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sam. "There's no documentation on the Learning Support System role!!!!" I think that is because this is a custom role made by  your establishment and not a standard role.

If you could explain a bit more what it did, or who used it, we can help you troubleshoot this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sam Thing -

Hi Mary,

It's a system role introduced in 2.x (I think It turned up when we went from 1.9 to 2.2 but I'm not sure) that allows people assigned to it access to any course without needing to be enrolled but gives little, if any, permissions to edit.

It definately isn't a custom role - see screen shot. Also I'm the only admin here who handles this area of Moodle. This role appeared in a 2.x upgrade and I remember looking forward to it because it solved a problem one of my teachers had at the time.

I've just checked on my test server and that role is not listed under Assign roles in System. I can only assume from that, that it was a feature that was introduced and quickly removed. I wonder why we still have it.

As it's no longer supported and the incremental upgrade we've done recently has broken the way the permissions work on it, I guess my only real option is to make a custom role that fulfills the same criteria.mixed

Cheers, Sam.

Attachment Clipboard01.jpg
In reply to Sam Thing

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Samsmile Honestly - it really IS a custom rolesmile  There never was a standard "Learning Support " role. If you want a role that allows people to view courses without being enrolled on them then I suggest you create a new role, assign it to the system context and give it this capability http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/course:view

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sam Thing -

Custom or not, the specific problem is that people with this role have lost the ability to edit course summaries when assigned in a teacher role at course level, when just over a week ago they had this ability. This is a system role with course:view set to allow.

I've made a new role and allowed course:view and the summary edit problem has gone away for it but it's a concern that this happened at all.

Cheers, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Sam McNeill -

Hi Sam,

I'm about to go down this path for Learning Support too, so have been looking at the system roles for something similar.

Basically, I need to give our Learning Support team the ability to browse courses but not participate in them as teachers/students.

Were there any key role / permissions you used for creating this Learning Support role?

Any tips appreciated,

regards,

Sam

In reply to Sam McNeill

by Sam Thing -

Hi Sam,

The only thing I did was to create a system role and explicitly allow course:view. I left all other permissions alone. If any of the learning support team needed further permissions then I've asigned them a role on a per course basis.

Cheers. Sam.