Running Reports on Multiple SCORM courses

Running Reports on Multiple SCORM courses

by G. Mack -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I am uploading content created in Adobe Captivate as SCORM courses and need to create curriculums consisting of multiple courses. Is it possible to group SCORM courses in this way and to run a report on the whole curriculum (not on a course by course basis)? If so what is the best way to do this? I am using Moodle 2.4.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to G. Mack

Re: Running Reports on Multiple SCORM courses

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Unless there have been developments I don't know about you have two problems here..

- SCORM really only exposes a final score to the Gradebook although all the other info the API allows is actually stored internally
- There isn't any across the site Gradebook reporting (it's all course based) and there certainly isn't any detailed SCORM reporting.

I have actually been involved in developing the sort of reporting you talk about for clients but this has all been very specific. Really we need someone to come along and fund this kind of reporting.

In reply to Howard Miller

by G. Mack -

Thank you for the reply. Currently we are using a commercial LMS and were hoping to switch to Moodle but this will definitely be a problem as our customers will be expecting such functionality. We will probably have to stick with what we have in this case. If anyone else comes across this and might have an idea or some custom code/plugin they could share to accomplish this it would be welcome. Thanks again.

In reply to G. Mack

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are commercial 'forks' of Moodle that add in a lot of this businessy stuff.

Noting that this is blatant self-publicity, have a look at http://www.e-learndesign.co.uk/perficio-management-tool/

In reply to Howard Miller

by G. Mack -

Thanks, I'll take a look at this. Unfortunately when management hears the word "free" they tend to balk at paying for support, a situation I'm sure plenty of people have been in. It is curious though that this feature is missing in something that bills itself as a CMS; just my opinion but I don't really see this as "businessy" but rather something that should be a basic feature.

In reply to G. Mack

by Howard Miller -

It depends on who you are. The usual use case is discrete courses and the reporting within the course suffices. The across the board reporting per user is done somewhere else.

My experience is that using Moodle as a SCORM player, essentially, is a very specific use. Almost always training of some sort and brings with it a whole different bunch of reporting requirements.

But, yes, it's a big percentage of Moodle users and should probably be better supported.