General help

Picture of G. Mack
Sending an email on account creation

Hello, I see this topic has been posted a few times on the forum before but it never seems to have an answer. When I create a user or users I need to have an email sent to them letting them know an account has been created. I'd like to have this occur for manual account creations but I understand this is not possible. After some reading I was under the impression that by importing users through a csv file you could accomplish this however.

Based on that I created a sample csv file and successfully uploaded it but no email was generated. I then did some more reading and found somewhere on the Moodle site that if you leave out the password field in the csv file it would work, but again no luck.

I am using Moodle 2.4. I have ensured that under "Site administration > Plugins > Enrollments > Flat file (CSV)" that mailstudents, mailteachers, and mailadmins are all selected.

Now if I click under "Navigation > My courses > Coursename > Participants > Send a message" I am able to generate emails to users that way, so I know it is possible for Moodle to send them.

So my question is: Is it possible to send emails when users are added and if so how?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of G. Mack
Re: Sending an email on account creation

Anyone? This is a fairly standard practice but I still am not able to figure it out...

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Doesn't the bulk user upload do that? I can never remember!...

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

G, See the link here: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Accounts_FAQ#Can_Moodle_send_a_notification_e-mails_automatically_to_a_new_user_when_an_account_is_created_for_them.3F

What you are trying to do should work.

Please go and vote for https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19390 They have said maybe with more votes this will be added.

-Derek

Picture of G. Mack

Hello Derek, I did see that page and even when the password is omitted in the csv file it still fails to send an email for me, so I'm not sure if that information is incorrect or there is something else going on. I see now that this has been a bug for quite some time but I voted for it anyway.