iCal Calendar Subscription: failed to add event

iCal Calendar Subscription: failed to add event

by Romeo Sulzer -
Number of replies: 9

After upgrading to the latest 2.4.1 stable built I've tried out the new iCal subscription feature using an .ics file generated from an Outlook 2010 calendar.  Unfortunately, most events do not get added with the error message "failed to add event".  There is no indication on why it failed to add most events.  Is there any way to find out why these events could not get added to the Moodle calendar (e.g log)?

Thanks for any feedback!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Romeo Sulzer

Re: iCal Calendar Subscription: failed to add event

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have the same problem with Moodle 2.4.4+ (Build: 20130606)

It has added some events, but now it seems they all fail. The link seems to be valid though, when I use Outlook to view the calendar it works OK.

I'm using Office 365 btw.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Romeo Sulzer -

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  We're still experiencing it with Moodle 2.5.

Thanks!

In reply to Romeo Sulzer

by Alisa Ally -

Hey this kind of error message is usually occurred due to the presence of viral infection, or outdated drivers. So, you need to update your system drivers or remove the viral infection from your system. If you still facing that error message when you subscription the ICal calendar on your system then you can use third party repair tool or PST repair tool to easily overcome on this. This tool can also recover deleted outlook emails and much more.

In reply to Alisa Ally

by Methue Jack -

If you are getting this problem then you can fix it if you solve the issues of outlook such as missing pst file, injection of malicious programs, missing configuration of outlook so repair the pst file, scan the system to remove malicious programs and if you have recently install any program or software then remove it. You can use inbox pst recovery tool which is also used to repair pst file. This tool is free to use because it is provided by Microsoft with the Microsoft office.

In reply to Romeo Sulzer

by John Iglar -

Romeo, I'm getting the same sort of problem ...and it's not Outlook (so it's not viruses/malicious code/etc. as some have suggested)

I'm setting my calendar up to subscribe to an ics file via a website (so it will update daily). All-day events get imported but anything that has a time just gives me a "Failed to add event" message with no details.

The weird thing is that the all-day events are time-shifted by +3 hours. Both my Moodle server and the other one are set to UTC+3 so I don't know why it's doing this. (I saw something related in the tracker about problems when changing timezones changes times for all-day events imported from Google...)

...bottom line: there should be some error message from Moodle with more detail about why it's failing to add an event. It is likely something with the ical settings, but what?

John

In reply to John Iglar

by Jamie Davies -
Hello John, 

I am having the same issue - all day events are importing as expected but any timed events are failing.

Did you find a solution to your problem? 

Cheers, 

Jamie 

In reply to Jamie Davies

by Andy McKay -

Did anyone ever discover a solution for this problem? I'm having the same issue, with only all day events displaying when I import an .ics file into my calendar.

In reply to John Iglar

by DR LMS -

Same problem here on 2.8. All my all-day events from an Office 365 iCal or Google feed are shifted by 8 hours. We're in EST. 

How did you address this problem?

In reply to DR LMS

by DR LMS -

Follow-up: I figured out that my iCal feed has no timezone data associated with it. Therefore, calendar/lib.php was assigning it a timezone of UTC (I'm in UTC-4). All the events were off by many hours.

Instead of making line 3079 say "UTC", I changed it to "date_default_timezone_get()" so that it will use the server's timezone if the iCal file doesn't have a timezone instead of hardcoding it to UTC. Now it's importing calendar events properly. 

Seems like this should be the way that file works anyway--why should it be hardcoded to UTC instead of just using the local timezone?