Windows IIS stops responding

Windows IIS stops responding

Napisane przez: Steve Kleine ()
Liczba odpowiedzi: 7

Seems our IIS instance stops responding, giving requesters a 500 error, and only restarting IIS (or running iisreset from elevated command prompt) gets it going again.

Nothing else stops, and sadly there's nothing in any event log (application, system and IIS) that points to what may be happening. It's like IIS decides it wants a holiday and just doesn't answer.

Software versions are as follows:

OS: Windows 2008 R2 running as a vSphere guest VM with 8 vCPU and 8GB RAM (fully patched)

Web: IIS 7

DB: MySQL 5.1.63 for Win64

PHP: 5.3.13, CGI/FastCGI enabled

Any guesses what to look for? Other than this annoying behavior the site's working pretty well as advertised.

Thanks!

W odpowiedzi na Steve Kleine

Re: Windows IIS stops responding

Napisane przez: Howard Miller ()
Obraz Core developers Obraz Documentation writers Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers Obraz Peer reviewers Obraz Plugin developers

Do you mean no event "other than the error 500"? If not, you must be looking in the wrong place. The 500 error should be logged at least.

Try again with Debugging on. Hopefully it will log something more interesting!

Let us know what happens.

Napisane przez: Adinuca Danut ()

This is happen for me too. i have a website http://www.frivgames4all.co.uk and need to restart if I want to work again. Is annoying!

W odpowiedzi na Adinuca Danut

Napisane przez: Steve Kleine ()

After turning on Failed request logging, I'm seeing 500 timeout errors all over the road, all from the FastCGI module. 

And, over the weekend IIS did lockup solid while someone was viewing one of the many MP4 recordings of the lectures we put online via Panopto.

I've tuned upwards the timeout values for the FastCGI module. We'll see if this has any good effect, but at the moment the hypothesis is the videos are causing the timeouts and IIS lockups.

Any ideas where else I should be looking?

Napisane przez: Ken Task ()
Obraz Particularly helpful Moodlers

Don't run Windows, myself, but maybe this will help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831548.aspx

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Napisane przez: Mohsen Farahi ()

Hi All,

I am having the exact same issue and it's still unresolved. I have to restart IIS each time after it locks up (normally once every week) and this is getting very annoying. I am running it on IIS 8 and MS SQL 2012. Nothing logged other than the 500 error and a generic FastCGI error. A bit suspicious on the quiz module as each time it happens the moodle logs shows someone is using a quiz (quiz editquestions). Any Ideas of how to start troubleshooting?