What are the possible strategies for choosing my Moodle version ?

What are the possible strategies for choosing my Moodle version ?

by vouty - -
Number of replies: 13

Hello,

I want to try to build a Website (learning via Internet no Intranet)

A big question for me is : which version of Moodle to use ?

This is not a simple question for a beginner like me .

What I know is :

_ I used Moodle 2.2.3 for learning  and it seems right/enough for my needs

_ May be 2.2.3 isn't necessary for me ???

_ I want a Version stabilized, and which I can use for two years

_ I also want that lot of websites use it until 2015 (documentation, forums always existing)

_ reliable release , easy to manage

_ Important criteria is Speed of the release (choosing Web hosting will be an other question)

_ My dream : A release/version where it's possible to modify the Look

So what is your advice ? What is the best strategy to have a robust , reliable and fast solution ?

Thank you to the experimented users , I'd appreciate any feedback .smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to vouty -

Re: What are the possible strategies for choosing my Moodle version ?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

2.4 is the latest version as long as your webhosts have the appropriate requirements (see http://download.moodle.org/ ) Moodle versions are updated majorly every 6 months, so 2.5 will be out in June. It is very possible to modify the look of Moodle by choosing a different theme. However- when you say you want to build a website - what do you want to use Moodle for? It isn't really a website as such but a learning platform for students to take courses. Is that what you want?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by vouty - -

I agree , this is already a website ...and  I just want to use Moodle.

About the release , what I know about software is that last release have new functionnalities but also bugs during 6 to 12 months; it's always a compromise .  Because of that and because I'm a beginner my approach is : may be less functionnalities but reliable , without bugs ,  documentation updated, forum with a lot of experimented users with this release. It's why I'm not sure to want last release 2.4

Same philosophy about Webhost, at the beginning , I'd prefer a less sophisticated release  if  easy to maintain and easy to change of webhost .

May be I'm wrong when thinking like that. One point is that I'm not able to have a clear overview between the releases , like : reliability, bugs, requirements for webhosts, level of knowledge/difficulties for me to manage the parameters (linux, mysql...) , differences on bandwith/speed depending on release , associated costs ...

I don't know if there is a table (one pager) summarizing main points , a kind of big picture for a first overview.

My target right now (keeping same release andor the next two years) :  I want to have one reliable solution for students  , and to focus on production .  Second priority is the "Look"... even if I consider that a good look if probably opposite of speed,  bandwith, and costs.

I've to avoid trouble , discovering ... , I've so much to learn.

Hey guys!  a lot of you have background in this area  .... Any advice would be very welcome for a Happy new Year !  Thanks approve

In reply to vouty -

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Life time of an official Moodle version is 18 months ( http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases ). There are various efforts to introduce some stability into this, for example CLAMP http://www.clamp-it.org.

Resourcewise it was always uphill when a new version comes out. The "long life" versions like 1.6, 1.9 got polished and reported heavy efficiency gains. Only 2.4 claims an efficiency gain right from the beginning: http://www.iteachwithmoodle.com/2012/11/17/moodle-2-4-beta-performance-test-comparison-with-moodle-2-3/. For performance related go through the initial information in the "Hardware and Performance" forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by vouty - -

Hi,

Very usefull informations and links ( I didn't have time to read all  )

I begin to understand and to have an idea of which version I'd like to install on my local host (I'm learning on Moodle 2.2.3 install on a Web host). 

Last information I need is  a table comparing Moodle functions/Versions . I hope I'll find one.

With this table (if I find it) + graphs I saw , I think I'll have enough to make a decision. Thank you.

In reply to vouty -

Hi

> Last information I need is a table comparing Moodle functions/Versions . I hope I'll find one.

are the Release Note linked from http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases page.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

If you have the time, set up a server on your local machine, even if you do it at home. Does not really matter about the environment, as long as it is a web environment. I would recommend Apache/PHP/MySQL as I have found it easier to maintain than IIS/PHP/MySQL, if you have Windows, MacOS has its own issues and Linux mastly comes with its own Apache server anyway,  but go with whatever you are most comfortable with. 

Download and install to your server a recent version, but not the second latest or latest versions. This gives you some idea of how to install a Moodle, and make you aware of some of the pitfalls as well. Once you have it working, and it might take several tries at that for a whole range of reasons, but usually you have made a simple error with passwords, or the versions of the PHP or MySQL are not the right ones, Then try to learn a little about the tool, how to do some basic things, create courses, add images and so on. Then once you are comfortable there, upgrade to the second latest version, trial the techniques you need for a production site. 

That is all this exercise is, to trial techniques where you can control the entire environment. Once you are happy with what you know, then develop some resources for the production site, nothing large or overly complex, some simple easily accessible materials, and things that are predictable.

Then try setting it up in a production site. Check with your hosts  if anything goes wrong first, then come let us know what is happening. 

This is not time wasting, it is simple self-defence. You will learn a lot about Moodle along the way, and get frustrated privately before resolving problems publicly. In the end, you are going to have a test moodle you can use to try things before you put them into your production site, which, I suggest, is best practice anyway. This causes minimum disruption to your clientele, an obvious objective. 

Good luck.  

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by vouty - -

Hi Colin,

I agree with your approach but, I think, I've no enough time .

In fact, today, I already built a trial website (on webhosting, moodle 2.2.3) with a first course to test functionalities ( configuration of website : accounts,  Front page ; Categories and courses : creation, enrolments; Material : links,  html, folders , files to download, organization; Lessons and Assignments; creation of different type of quizzes, feedback, chat, Glossary, Forum, wiki . Evaluations: grades automatic or to do , reports ; Backup ) . I use documentation for a 1.9.x version and I was working on a 2.2.3 version. It was a good experience, sometime difficult because of differences in presentation or location of functionnalities,  but I was able to manage it.  It was my first trial. Now,  I would like to build a real small production,  to test a solution for the course I'd like to have . So I installed  Moodle 2.4+ on a dedicated laptop (localhost; on windows XP ; Intel® Core™ Duo T2050 | 1.6GHz | 100GB | 2Gb); response time (performance on that computer) is too long (may be some tuning would help a lot) .  Moodle 2.2.3 on webhosting was acceptable but not 2.4+ on localhost (time is not in fraction of a second but in term of perception for a smooth utilisation). So now I'm thinking about using a PHP accelerator (if existing ???? ) for this computer. Same time I'm thinking to install Moodle on an other laptop (AMD A8-4500M/700Go/8Gb/Radeon HD 7640G with Windows 7 pro and Ubuntu 12.10) ; this is a challenge for me because I saw that Windows7 isn't easy for installation (often some problems) and I don't know Ubuntu.

I 'm afraid to say that I don't have time to try too much different versions it's too much time, and too much energy .

So , following your advice and to minimize trials,  I'm asking me three questions :

_ would it be a good idea for my next installations to test Moodle 1.9.19+ and after Moodle 2.3.3+ ?

_ Is it possible to transfert my course from version 1.9.19 tp 2.3.3 easily ? are there some restrictions or incompatibilities ?

_ Is my dedicated small computer compatible for these versions and only for one user ? do I have to make some tuning (parameters on blocks ....) to decrease quantity/size of html files to generate ? Is it appropriate to install an html accelerator ?

(localhost; windows XP home ; Intel® Core™ Duo T2050 | 1.6GHz | 100GB | 2Gb). 

First step would be to work only with windows XP (and to avoid learning Ubuntu and debate with windows 7)

Thank you again

In reply to vouty -

by Colin Fraser -

Hi Vouty,

I understand the chart you are talking about, but the problem is the only charts available are inaccurate anyway. The changes to Moodle are too rapid now to be described in such a manner. The overall core does not change that much, but other elements, like 3rd Party plugins are extending the usefulness of Moodle all the time. Also, the only charts like that I have seen are done by other organizations promoting their own product, which, of course, are completely accurate and unbiased.

-would it be a good idea for my next installations to test Moodle 1.9.19+ and after Moodle 2.3.3+ ?

_ Is it possible to transfert my course from version 1.9.19 tp 2.3.3 easily ? are there some restrictions or incompatibilities ?

If I am reading this first part right, you have a v2.3.3+ and you want to step down? No, why step backwards, there is no more support for v1.9.x not even security updates. (I think Dan Marsden's support ended December, time to move on.) There are too many differences to be a valid test. If you mean you have a v1.9.19+ and you want to restore courses to a v2.3.3+ then yes, that can happen, easily now, but no user data, which you probably do not have, just the course materials. 

_ Is my dedicated small computer compatible for these versions and only for one user ? do I have to make some tuning (parameters on blocks ....) to decrease quantity/size of html files to generate ? Is it appropriate to install an html accelerator ?

Now you have lost me... Are we talking an enterprise Moodle or a standalone personal Moodle? A production Moodle can have a few users or like the OU, 250,000+ users. My test Moodles have 5 users each and I am all of them. Each user had a different role in different contexts, which can be annoying sometimes to be switching beetween the two computers I use - but it does give me some exercise..smile 

Never used an accelerator, but might be useful. The OS you are using is pretty much irrelevant to Moodle, as long as you have some understanding of how it works, stores things, security (or any facsimile thereof), and such, you can use Moodle anywhere you can create a server. The laptop is good, plenty of RAM, disc space, but unless you allow external access, and are using a fixed IP address for it, it is probably not useful for a general server. Having said that, yes, I have done precisely that, but the laptop was not turned off and did have a fixed IP and was rebooted every Sunday after backing up the week's data overnight - smallish country school, internal Moodle very interesting experiment.  Not sure what else I can say here.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

Colin,

You said:
> why step backwards, there is no more support for v1.9.x not even security updates. (I think Dan Marsden's support ended December, time to move on.)

How do you say: The dead live longer?
"Bug fixes for serious security issues in 1.9.x by Moodle HQ ended June 2012 (4.5 years).
Bug fixes for serious security issues in 1.9.x by Catalyst IT will continue until Dec 2013 (6 years)."
http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases.

Who does what is not exactly clear to me, see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=218503&parent=953883, point 2. Main thing is Dec 2013 (not 2012)!

by Colin Fraser -

My apologies, it was my understanding that Dan, via Catalyst, could only continue to support to the end of 2012, but if they can keep going to the end of 2013, then Catalyst is certainly being more generous than I would have expected.

However, the basic point is the same, I cannot see any valid reason to start, or continue, with a v1.9.19++++++ if a v2.x is available. There is also another issue to be considered, I am not sure what direction the Roadmap will take, nor can any of us be certain that the mechanisms for upgrading a v1.9.19++++++ to a, say, a v2.7.2 in May of 2014, will continue to provide that support. They should, but we cannot be certain. There may, of necessity, be an upgrade path where an interim version needs to be maintained. We should be encouraging people to upgrade to v2, and not, I suggest, waste their time on a v1.9.x. There is nothing in v1.9.x core that is not replicated or "improved" in v2. There is a great many features in v2 core that can be well utilised that cannot be a part of v1.9.x. Now there are a number of exciting new plugins for v2 that have not been designed or written for v1.9.x. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved my v1.9s, and now the initial angst has passed about v2, can appreciate some of the strengths of the new versions. Still think it is ugly and needs a redesign, which I understand is beginning to happen, and think it needs to be more flexible when integrating other PHP apps, and now learning that there is an enterprise need for student management and enterprise facilities functionality, which could be developed as a new product that can be integrated, or plugged in easily, so to speak. But these are separate issues.

The basic point is still the same, v1.9.19+++++ will no longer be a contemporary tool.          

by vouty - -

Hi,

I saw it, and if I don't miss something, I've to built the table.

I'm looking, like every beginner I think,  for a table (tabloid size) with main differences for users .

So table can be two , like :

First : main functionnalities (technical approach) / versions

Second : Main  tools for courses (teachers approach)  / versions

(with an addendum on technical requirements / versions)

Second would be the best for me . Not everything would be in these tables , just basic information for , for example, on type of user.

Here an example of a quick overview (in an other area) :

http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm

In reply to vouty -

Hi

> I saw it, and if I don't miss something, I've to built the table.
> ...
> Here an example of a quick overview (in an other area) :
> http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm

There is no such table for Moodle to my knowledge. If there is one, I expect it to be very long, Moodle has quite a few features and nearly as many versions.
wink

BTW, there is a more compact page with links to all the release notes: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Category:Release_notes.

In reply to vouty -

Hi vouty

You wrote:
> _ I want a Version stabilized, and which I can use for two years

You are not alone!

Watch out for Moodle LTS:
- "6 month release cycle and update policy" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=173828#p762050

- "Moodle support period: Long term version?" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=223086