Missing setting in Blocks configuration | 2.3.1

Missing setting in Blocks configuration | 2.3.1

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 4

On the front page it says this:

I expected it to say "Display through entire site"

As here: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Block_settings#Making_a_block_sticky_throughout_the_whole_site

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Missing setting in Blocks configuration | 2.3.1

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek. I can't replicate this - can you give more details - what type of block is it, which role on the front page are you using  -and anything else we can think of? I seem to recall in 2.0 you only had the front page options but something must have changed since then as you can now add a front page block sitewide (in the early days of RC1 you had to make a block sticky sitewide from an admin page) I am curious about this behaviourthoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

Other comments:

1. Role on the front page = site administrator
  2. The block is the course menu block: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_course_menu
  3. I checked: there are 56 instances of it already in the site.
  4. I choose a block that had zero instances (the Blog menu) and added to front page and it worked perfectly as expected and does have the extra settings, and appeared top right where I put it on all the courses I chose.  Then I deleted it and it went away.

Hmm.  Is there a subtle bug that if there are instances of the block in the site in other courses before it is added to the home page, will this precent the correct behaviour from happeining?  (Do I delete 56 blocks and try to find out?)

-Derek

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

More other comments:

1. I went to the manage blocks page and clicked on the 56 which was clickable at that time.
    After deleting 52 of them it changed to a 4 and was no longer clickable. (similar to below)
  2. Then I read the documents to find out what "delete" meant (and it said it was to delete all the instances in the database) which I did.
  3. Then I went back in and did the database upgrade etc.
  4. Then I re-added the block to the front page.
  5. result:
  • Still ONLY the two options as in my original post.
  • Still unclickable link in the Manage blocks page.

I'll post in the plugins forum for this block.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Missing setting in Blocks configuration | 2.3.1 [solved]

by Derek Chirnside -

This is a feature not a bug for this block.  @#$%^&*  Hidden in the code and undocumented they have switched OFF the ability to deploy sitewide.
THANKS MARY.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)