Students can't reply in forum!

Students can't reply in forum!

by James Brown -
Number of replies: 5

Suddenly discovered 'student' can't reply in standard forum. What went wrong? Please help.

Moodle version 2.2.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Brown

Re: Students can't reply in forum!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Is your course and/or the forum set to separate groups and your students are not in groups?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Brown -

No, they weren't not in groups at all. When I login as 'admin', things were all ok and same as 'non-editing teacher' but once I changed my role to 'student' or just login as a pretended student, the 'reply' link disappeared. Please help.

In reply to James Brown

by James Brown -

Please see if the following additional info helpful in resolving the issue.

1) When I changed my role to 'student', the following appears in the top of the forum:

"You do not have permission to add a new discussion topic for all participants."

Mary, you said something about 'group'. When the forum was set, the sceen said there are 3 options 'No groups', 'Seperate groups' and 'Visible groups' under Common Module Settings but by default 'Seperate group' was fixed and I couldn't find ways to change it.

Please look at the matter and offers help. This issue needs to be resolved with urgency. Thanks.

In reply to James Brown

by James Brown -

Thanks to Mary Cooch for pointing out the group thing, now at least I got around the problem a little bit. I artificially created a group 'ALL' and put everyone into that group. Once this group was created, individually group members can now start a new topic as well as replying to existing posts. While this 'reply; thing works for the time being, I still feel that I did something wrong as I didn't experience this kind of forum problem before. Can you all continue to comment on this matter? Thanks. 

In reply to James Brown

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier but I am in a different time zone from you. It looks like your course settings have separate groups forced - look in Course adminstration>Edit settings to check that. If separate groups are forced then students who are NOT in groups won't be able to reply. So either you do as you did, make a group and put them all in that or else you go into the course settings and not force groups.