HotPot/TaskChain Testing Vulnerabilities: Still an issue?

HotPot/TaskChain Testing Vulnerabilities: Still an issue?

by Pamela Williams -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there,
I was reading about some of the vulnerabilities of HotPot and TaskChain in a discussion that included Gorden Bateson back in 2011.  One of the vulnerabilities was that the answers of the questions appeared in the source code for the page.  In the new version for M2X (it upgrades so much, that's my nickname for it!), has that been addressed?

My apologizies if this has already been asked and answered!  I'd appreciate some guidence in the right direction if so!

Thanks!

Pam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pamela Williams

Re: HotPot/TaskChain Testing Vulnerabilities: Still an issue?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I disagree with your depiction of the HotPot and TaskChain modules as containing multiple "vulnerabilities". Please give the link to the web page that gave you that impression.

Gordon (with an two "o"s and no "e")

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Pamela Williams -

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for replying.  The main vulnerability or concern I was inquiring about stems from a 2011 discussion where you mentioned that the answers were available in the source code.  I know that it was also mentioned that the purpose for the the HotPot and TaskChain modules would be better served for mastery learning rather than testing because of this issue among other reasons (pace, chunking material, reviewing material, skipping ahead, studying, and so forth). Please see the link below (your very last post in particular):

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177243&parent=777747

When you say you disagree with me, are you saying that this is no longer an issue?  I'm just inquiring about whether the answers are still in the source code as you pointed out in 2011.  I'm just seeing where things are currently.

Regards,
Pam

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

I agree with Gordon. Hot Potatoes were designed as learning exercises, not as a testing tool, so the fact that answers could be discovered by very technically sophisticated students in the code is irrelevant to their purpose. 

It's possible to import Hot Potatoes into Quiz which works better as a testing tool but, as many discussions on the Moodle forums have shown, total security is just not possible on tests delivered over the Internet without dedicated servers and human invigilators in the room with the students. And even then...

Cheers,
Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Pam,

> When you say you disagree with me,
> are you saying that this is no longer an issue? 

I am saying it never was an "issue" or a "vulnerability" because Hot Potatoes exercises are not tests, so it doesn't matter that the correct answers are in the source code, any more than it matters that there is no referree at the game of soccer I see the kids playing every Saturday in my neighborhood. Cheating to win is not the point. They benefit from the game even if there is no referree.

If you wish to make tests, please use the Quiz module. If you wish to make practice or revision materials, I can strongly recomend the HotPot and TaskChain modules.

What are the other "vulnerabilities" you allude to?

Gordon

by Pamela Williams -

I thank you for responding to me and apologize if I have upset you with my interpretation of your response given in 2011. You have addressed my concerns and I appreciate your time.

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

Nice analogy with kids playing soccer. big grin

So sad that many teachers still don't understand the difference between learning activities and testing activities. The dominant model is still: present a body of information and then test to see if students can regurgitate it. How students manage to do so and whether they have real insight and know-how is not always seen as the teacher's responsibility.

But I don't despair - I do see more and more teachers who are evolving...

Cheers,

Glenys