I've heard people comment on the looks of HotPotatoes exercises: that they look very old-fashioned and very much 'old web'. Indeed, their layout was designed quite some years ago. However, with some CSS3 you can give them great modern 'mobile-like' looks.
See the css3 Facelift - http://ewbooks.info/hotpot/assets/taxonomy/html5video/css3_Facelift.htm
The css3 Facelift features:
- rounded corners of layout boxes, navigation buttons and function buttons
- rounded input fields and borders of textarea
- rounded corners of cards in JMatch drag and drop
- rounded borders of dropdown select menus for JCloze dropdown output
- dropshadow on buttons and draggable cards in JMatch
- Added a shade of the color for Navbar border color
Please, write back if you like the way it looks, and MORE importantly, if it works OK for you. It's hard to please all browsers and OS.
Very much looking forward to any comments.