Feedback modul Export to excel fails

Feedback modul Export to excel fails

by Klaus Steitz -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In a course with 400 participants the feedback-export to excel doesn´t work (well). The feedback consists of 39 questions, mainly of type "Multiple choice - single answer allowed (dropdownlist)". Trying exporting to excel of this Feedback the browser is "connecting" almost endless (more than half an hour), but no excel-file is generated. Reducing the number of submitted answers from 400 to 200 leads the export to work after about half a minute loading. The export also works for just one questions with 400 submitted answers (but not with 15 or more questions).

Is there a workaround allowing the export for all 400 submitted answers? Or at least a hint making the division of the submitted answers possible (and afterwards export it). We had the 200 submitted answers only by accident. Now there are five Feedbacks left each with (the same) 39 questions and 400 submitted answers.

We are using Moodle 2.3. MS SQL database cluster. Loadbalancer with two machines (handling 20.000 users).

Thanks for your replies!

kind regards
Klaus

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Klaus Steitz

Re: Feedback modul Export to excel fails

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Klaus,

please have a look to the php settings memory_limit and max_execution_time. Maybe there are inconvenient values.If that isn't the problem please create an entry in the tracker (http://tracker.moodle.org).
Thank you!

Best regards
Andreas

In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Klaus Steitz -

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your advice. These are our settings:

max_execution_time:    600

memory_limit:    1024M

Sounds enough to me. Or what´s your recommendation?

kinde regards
Klaus

In reply to Klaus Steitz

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Klaus,

that seems to be ok. I will look at it over the next days. Can you put it into the tracker? Thank you!

Best regards
Andreas

by Steffen Pegenau -
In reply to Steffen Pegenau

by Andreas Grabs -

Hi,

I am sorry, but I can't reproduce this problem sad. I tested in the following way:
MySQL 5.5.25 (I don't have set up an MS-SQL server)
Apache 2.2.21
OpenSuSE 12.1 (VMWare with 1GB RAM)

memory_limit: 512M
max_execution_time: 120

test1:
45 questions(type multichoice)
500 anonymous submits

test2:
45 questions(type multichoice)
500 user submits

test3
45 questions(type textarea ca. 270 characters)
500 anonymous submits

test4
45 questions(type textarea ca. 270 characters)
500 user submits

All tests went well. The excel file was exported with all questions without any error.
Maybe it is an MS-SQL issue. But I don't have enough knowledge of that database system.

Best regards
Andreas

by Klaus Steitz -

Hi,

thanks for the tests, Andreas! Can you send us the test-scenarios (i.e. as backup-course) that we can test with the same at our testsystem? So we can definitively exclude that it is a problem with the special course/feedback of ours.

I also wrote our database-administration about that issue.

kind regards
Klaus

In reply to Klaus Steitz

by Andreas Grabs -

Hi Klaus,

I sent you the backup of my test course.

Best regards
Andreas

by Klaus Steitz -

Hi Andreas,

thanks for the file. The export to excel doesn´t work with it either (at our system). Looks like a MSSQL-issue.

kinde regards
Klaus