Preventing System role from changing settings on Front Page or Site Administration

Preventing System role from changing settings on Front Page or Site Administration

by James Henestofel -
Number of replies: 4

I'm using 2.2.4

I'm trying to create a System role that can see and go into any course within the system and modify settings.  I was able to accomplish this.

The thing that has become a problem is that this allows that user to modify certain "Site Administration" settings and Front Page settings.  For example Backup Defaults which is controlled just by the ability of being able to backup a course.  What I have done is gone through all the custom permissions for the Front page and removed them all for that user.  I was successfully able to remove all the permissions except for two.

I can't seem to restrict the user from seeing, on the Front Page settings, the Question bank options of "Questions" and "Export".  The user is able to access any questions I have put on there for the System.  They are also able to export any of the questions.

Also under "Site administration" the user can see the options for "Reports" but if the user clicks on any of the links they are told they don't have permission.  Not sure why the links show if they don't have permission.

Has anyone else tried this and was able to restrict everything from the Front Page or Site Administration?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Henestofel

Re: Preventing System role from changing settings on Front Page or Site Administration

by Shahab Mohd -

I am also having the same problem. I want to create a system role which can create courses and and add activity But not permission to change front page settings.

i dont want them to see the front page settings link in the home page at all

I searched entire moodle community but couldn't find a solution.

In reply to Shahab Mohd

Re: Preventing System role from changing settings on Front Page or Site Administration

by Shahab Mohd -
Look like these requests are not possible in moodle 2.6. No reply received from any experts ...
In reply to Shahab Mohd

by omega RA -

Dear ShahabMohd

You can just change the following capiblity for restricting front page setting for each user you want to.

in define roles> course > Update course settings (moodle/course:update)  > set it to prevent

In reply to omega RA

by Shahab Mohd -

Hi Amir

Thanks for a reply. I tried your suggestion but no success. still front page settings are displayed.

why i need this is I need a teacher role with capability to create and update users. 

is there any other way to do that