Show timezone in public profile

Show timezone in public profile

by Justina Torres -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, we're running Moodle 2.3.1.  Is there any way to make the Timezone field visible in the public profile?  Very shortly we will be having students taking classes in multiple timezones at once, so it is critical that they can see if their timezone is set correctly for due dates (as well as be able to connect with others in different locations).  Since the City and Timezone are not linked, I am concerned that some of our users may not set up their own timezone correctly and consequently may miss due dates for assignments.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Justina Hohmann

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justina Torres

Re: Show timezone in public profile

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I understand your problem, but don't have an answer for you except to make sure to tell students how to edit their timezone in their profile.  Here is how I do this.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Justina Torres -

Thanks, Rick.  I plan to do that already, but some of the people taking our classes are not the most tech-saavy so I had hoped there was a way for them to do a "quick check" without going into the profile edit settings.

Thanks for sharing your video.  I'm in the process of making some how-to videos myself.  It looks like you have yours available outside of Moodle.  May I ask how you created this page?

In reply to Justina Torres

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have my own website where I keep a lot of my teaching resources, so that it is easy to share these outside of Moodle.  If these were only in my Moodle, and since my Moodle requires an account, they would not be easily shareable, as I was able to do for you (and others).  So, things that I might want to share are outside of Moodle, and things that I don't want to share are within Moodle.

I used Flash to create this webpage, and my video player.  Behind the scenes, my Flash reads an RSS feed for its content, and then presents it as you see it.  Moodle can also read the same RSS feed, when needed.  My design concept was to have only one RSS feed file to manage, and then use it in many places, including iTunes, iPads, iPhones, etc.  One of my design ideas was to be able to put the user on a particular video.

Well, if a student were to only need help with something in their profile, I would say something like "Click Here".  You will see that only one video is shown in the list, but you can still get to all of the videos by clicking the "All" button (lower left side).

Seems to work pretty well, but still not perfect. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by E. L. Cooper -

I have students in 8 timezones. Personally I set force default time zone and tell them that in the orientation class.