Attendance Block Broken. No Help In That Forum

Attendance Block Broken. No Help In That Forum

Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 15

I have 2.4 installed, and the standard attendance plugin does not work for it.

Does anyone know an alternate attendance block I can install that will work for Moodle 2.4? I searched but could not find one.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Attendance Block Broken. No Help In That Forum

Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Marcus Green

Doug Moody -

Sure.

The attendance module I refer to is documented with the following:

"Immediately after the release of version 2.3, work began on porting the code to Moodle 2.x. In July 2011, Artem released Attendance version 2.4.0 (see post [6]), a rewrite of the code as a module with an optional block for use with Moodle 2.x only. In July 2012, Artem released a new branch of version 2.4.0 updated to work with Moodle 2.3."

I got this from this URL:http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Attendance_module

This block was what I was using, but I just updated my Moodle to version 2.4. It doesn't work for me in 2.4. It was working in Moodle 2.3.

In reply to Marcus Green

Sali Kaceli -

We are planning on upgrading to version 2.4 soon and I am finding that this module is not going to work and it is cruicial for our faculty as they have been using it for years now. 

It would be great if it is fixed or if someone has a workaround. 

In reply to Doug Moody

Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

"does not work" does not help வருத்தம்

Versions of everything, operating system, PHP version, database and version? What did you do, what did you expect, what happened?  Did you turn on Debugging? Did you check your web server error logs?

Please help us to help you!!

In reply to Howard Miller

Doug Moody -

Howard and Marcus,

When I try to access the attendance module as I always did, I am now getting this message:

"Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PAGE->yui2_lib() is not available any more, use YUI 2in3 instead, see MDL-34741 for more information."

In reply to Doug Moody

Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Now that is a more useful error message than usualசிரி. It seems that it has fallen over in the switch between two different libraries and is unlikely to work until someone changes the code. I would guess that is not a huge job but someone will need to break out the software spanner. 

To answer your original question, there are no other attenance blocks that integrate with Moodle, so it is a case of waiting for someone to fix that problem or rustle up a budget to get that version fixed.

If it really is a matter of switching between two libraries of YUI, and assuming that YUI follows the habit of most libraries of being fairly backwards compatible,  then I would guess it would take days rather than weeks.

In reply to Marcus Green

Doug Moody -

Marcus,

Did you read the MDL alert referenced in the error message? I did, but didn't understand it!கண்கள்

In reply to Doug Moody

Fabrizio Ciommei -

We have incontered the same problem with the same symptoms after the module installation on Moodle 2.4.

Any news from the Attendance Module maintenance team?

Thanks in advance for the collaboration.

Best regards,

Fabrizio

In reply to Fabrizio Ciommei

Doug Moody -

Fabrizio,

Is anyone using 2.4 NOT having problems with the attendance module? Or maybe this is only affecting a few of us. I would like to know why only a few are having issues with it if that is the case.

In reply to Doug Moody

Fabrizio Ciommei -

Hi Doug,

I try to explain better how the issue sort out: after the Moodle 2.4 upgrading (from 2.3) and the latest Attendance Module version installation, I try to use it for the first time and it sort out the following error

“coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PAGE->yui2_lib() is not available anymore, use YUI2in3 instead, see MDL-34741 for more information”.

then I expect that it seems a plugin code problem (a link with the YUI libraries) and it will be fixed in the next version.

Finally, the question is: should we wait the Attendance Module latest fixed release or an update Moodle fix so it exposes only the YUI3 library link?

I hope that now the situation is more clear.

Obliviosly, in case of need, please let me know.

Best regards,

Fabrizio

In reply to Fabrizio Ciommei

Clayton Mitchell -

My 2¢ worth.

I upgraded to 2.4 just before the holiday break and when I got back into work today, I was greeted with this error message. I think that this is not an isolated issue but only affects instances that have been upgraded to 2.4.

I would vote for the most expedient fix as this is a module that is heavily relied on for the people that are using it. This will probably be at the plugin level not the moodle code level, but I am not a programmer so this is only my opinion. 

I am assuming that it is not something as simple as going back to the code and pointing to the new libraries? 

In reply to Marcus Green

Derek Chirnside -

Marcu, I'm not sure of your  answer here/  See http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Attendance_module#General

I thought there were two (or even three) independent projects to create an attendance plugin.  I quote:

General

See the Attendance module forum for discussion and support on this module.

Note: the Attendance module has not been published on the Moodle Plugins page. (There is a plugin called Attendance Register available through that page, but it's something different.)

I tried to sort it out in my mind at some stage, and gave up.  It could well be that coders have moved on and that's life.

-Derek

In reply to Doug Moody

Clayton Mitchell -

I took a look at this again today and found an updated controbution of the attendence module.

https://github.com/andreev-artem/moodle_mod_attforblock/tree/MDL_24

I installed it on my 2.4 instance and I now have attendance working again.

This looks to be a beta version but it seems to work.

In reply to Clayton Mitchell

Fabrizio Ciommei -

Hi Clayton,

thanks for the feedback first of all. It is very helpful for us.

As I've already asked to Artem Andreev (the developer that has released the latest fix), it isn't an "official" version, but it is waiting the Moodle staff "approval".

In order to apply the latest Attendance Module fix, we need to know if it is validated by Moodle staff (even if it seem to wook) and we proceed using only Moodle staff approved modules/plugin.

I would ask you in which section we can retrieve all the needed information about the Moodle module approval...should I open a new topic on that forum or not?

Waiting for a your feedback.

Best regards,

Fabrizio