My Moodle is gradually running slower

My Moodle is gradually running slower

by A. John Peters -
Number of replies: 3

About a month ago, my Moodle system http://mbc.4ward-e-motion.com has become very slow.  It has now gotten to the point that it is virtually unusable.  It is Moodle 2.2.3+ (Build: 20120612)

At most I am running 30 users at a time.  I am using php 5.3.14

mySQL 5.0.96-community using an innoDB  with utf8_general_ci collation.

The only pluging I use is respondus.  I have not filters turned on.

THis was working fine and justed seemed to stop.  I have been searching forums for days.  Any more suggestions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. John Peters

Re: My Moodle is gradually running slower

by Mark Hardwick -

John,

I assume you are talking about Respondus Lockdown Browser or is it another Respondus product like 4.0 that’s used to import quizzes etc? 

I use the lockdown browser and had some trouble with slow speed a month or so back and found that Respondus Lockdown browser and Google Chrome that didn't like each other for some reason.  I have about the same number of users and the students that brought up the problem while using my laptops had one thing in common; they all had Google Chrome loaded on them recently.

If this is what's happening to you I would take one or two computers and uninstall Chrome and try it like that.  Before doing that you can disable Respondus in a selected quiz and try it that way to see if there's a difference running it in Moodle only.  Do one thing at a time. 

Do you have a web host that can give you any help?  The guy that hosts my site is good about figuring stuff like this out for his customers.  He's had a couple of updates to his server that shut me down completely until he undid the update for my site but nothing that made it run slow.  I've heard that the series of Moodle that you (and me) are running doesn't run as fast as the 2.0 series that I came from but nothing like what you are describing.  Have there been any changes at the server level?

Hope something here helps

Mark

In reply to Mark Hardwick

by A. John Peters -

Thank you for your response.

I am not using the Lockdown browser, but the 4.0 quiz maker uploader. 

Things are running fine now, but I upgraded to the latest 2.2.6+ version and the ISP checked some things out

I have been talking to my ISP and they say that a cpanel backup was slowing the whole system down.  I am not sure if that was the problem totally, because I run 2 soholaunch, 2 wordpress and 1 OSCommerce and the effect was not as noticable.  I asked for a talk with the Sr person on staff to see if that was the case, how can I guarentee good service in the future.

In this case some things got so bad that I got database errors says that user_preferences did not exist.  Since it did and things sometimes worked slowly, I new the database was correct.

In reply to A. John Peters

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi John

Did you get it sorted out?

It sounds like a performance problem. The introduction to the "Hardware and performance" forum has all the starting pointers.

If you wish to discuss there, you should request the moderator to move this thread to H&P. Send a message, they won't do it otherwise. I will delete the copy https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216692 in the H&P (I'm co-mod there).