HELP! Quiz options not showing up!

HELP! Quiz options not showing up!

by Jeff Bergstrom -
Number of replies: 12

Help!  When I try to add questions - I get a screen that does NOT show me all of the question options (See attached pic).  Therefore, it  is impossible for me to add any questions.

This has only happened recently, I have always been able to add questions and make quizzes in the past - not sure what changed. 

What do I need to do?

Attachment Capture.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Bergstrom

Re: HELP! Quiz options not showing up!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Jeff,

1. Have you (or your admin) added new question types to your moodle site recently?
  2. Try (or ask your admin) to switch on debug mode to display more error messages.
  3. Which version of Moodle are you using?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jeff Bergstrom -

Thanks for the help.   I believe that we have version 2.3....I will talk to the administator.  

Just a little frustrated that I am not able to use the quiz feature.

by Jeff Bergstrom -

Here is the error message I get - does his help?

Fatal error: Class 'default_questiontype' not found in /srv/moodle/web/question/type/essaywithstart/questiontype.php on line 3

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

As Joseph said this demonstrate that the question type "essaywithstart" is not compatible with your Moodle version (most probably it's a question type made for Moodle 2.0)

No question type made for Moodle 1.9 or 2.0 can be used with Moodle 2.1/2.2/2.3

You need to delete the folder question/type/essaywithstart and all it's content and after that go to Site Administration Notifications and delete the missing plugin.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Jeff Bergstrom -

Thanks for the  help! 

Now I just need to figure out how to do what you said.....  Sorry, I'm a relatively new moodle use.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

Sorry, my previous post was lacking a lot of details.
The first thing I should have mentioned is that I don't know this essaywithstart question type.

The only thing I know is that it is not part of standard Moodle so somebody (must probably your administrator) must have installed it.

So can I ask who has installed your Moodle server and who has installed this question type ? It will be a lot easier if the same person uninstall it

The thing to do is also to search if a version of the essaywithstart question type compatible with Moodle 2.3 exists or not, because if you can find one, your administrator will be able to do an upgrade of this plugin rather than to remove it.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Jeff Bergstrom -

Thanks!  It sounds like our "moodle administor" will have to be the one who helps with the fix.    I was just hoping it was something that I could do! 

Thanks again for your response and help.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jeff,

No-one in the Moodle community seems to have heard of that "essaywithstart" question type. I found this reference on the Web. Looks like the "Essay with start" question type was developed locally (in Wisconsin ?). Is your Moodle site located in that area of the US? You'll have to contact your Moodle site Admin and ask them to please check any new question type on a Test site first, prior to installing on a Production site.

All the best,

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jeff Bergstrom -

Yes - I am in Wisconsin!  I will contact my Admin and let them know!   You guys are the best on this forum!!

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I am still persuaded that something should be done in Moodle code to display a clear alert when a pre 2.1  incompatible question type is installed. This alert could also display the name of the offending question type and help to fix the problem more easily

This is why I created MDL-31099 tracker issue.

There are surely better ways to determine if a question type is compatible or not but as all pre 2.1 question types don't have a render.php nor a question.php file it would be quite easy to test if those 2 files exist or not.

This would no be bulletproof but it would catch a lot of problems.

If nothing is done, I am sure we will see other messages like this one in the future.